Stannous Chloride... POWDER (???)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALPHABiT

Hi guyz. I ordered (And now arrived) 2,5Kg of SMB and 250gr of Stannous Chloride.

Ok for SMB... It's white powder as i expected...
But stannous chloride ? I was expeting it was LIQUID... and not! It's white powder too! Now ?
Wrong order or just mix with water ?

On bottle i read:
STANNOUS CHRLORIDE ACS - For Analysis
SnCl2 * 2H2O
Min. assay 98.0.103.0%
(oxidimetric)
IMPURITIES

What now to use ? :(

I got the stannous chloride powder as well and it
works great you mix it with HCl like you would with
tin and it only keeps about a week so just make what
you need. If it came as a liquid it wouldn't be good
because of the weeklong shelf life.
Jim

The directions I followed, they are either from Hoke or Ammen I think;

In 30-50cc dropping bottle add 1 dwt stannous chloride and 1 dwt or less of tin metal Fill the bottle 3/4 full of water. Add hydrochloric acid about 25 to 30 drops for a 30cc bottle. This gives a milky white liquid which is ready to use.The tin metal will dissolve slowly and serves to keep the solution in good condition. Test before use, as it lasts only about a week.

Jim

I add a gram of tin powder into 30 mL of HCl gently heat in an flask until the tin starts to fizz. Remove from heat and let it sit for 10 minutes. Some time remains in the solution as it clears. Mine lasts for a month or more if kept covered. The amounts are not critical and I just eyeball the reactants.

When it gets weak, I just add a sprinkle of tin and reheat. Every three months or so I make a fresh batch.

Steve

ERRRRR....
Ok... i feel dumb, guyz! :)

So...
Do i have to add HCl to some of my new Stannous Chloride ?
Or do i have to add HCl and tin and water to some of my new Stannous Chloride ?

I understood i have to male small quantities of test solution because it's easly "deathable" .

UHm... And last question...
What % of HCL (Muriatic) do i have to use ? I see there are 10%/30% and so on in stores...

The HCl I use is 31.45%.

The extra tin metal just makes the solution stay fresh longer.

I don't make mine using stannous chloride crystals, just tin metal and HCl.

If you don't have tin metal I think you can just make small batches as needed with the crystals and test it occasionally (against known pregnant solutions) until it quits working and make a fresh batch then.

Steve

Either way should work. I also used muriatic acid.
The formula I used only used the drops of hydrochloric
and it worked fine. Which ever you use, just test it on
a known gold bearing solution to make sure it works.
You will have to do that when you need to test it after
a while to make sure it is still working, and you will get
familiar with the results you are looking for.

I dont have tin, cose u forgot to send me ur offer... Remember ? ;)
BTW 30/40cl of 31,45% Muriatic each stannous crystal gram.
1 mini batch per time 'cose it expire quickly.
Many thanks.

Either way should work. I also used muriatic acid.
The formula I used only used the drops of hydrochloric
and it worked fine. Which ever you use, just test it on
a known gold bearing solution to make sure it works.
You will have to do that when you need to test it after
a while to make sure it is still working, and you will get
familiar with the results you are looking for.

That's a great suggest... I'm goint into this... now! Thanks a lot.

The tin metal just keeps the solution fresh.
The stannous chloride is tin in some form.
You should be able to make some to test
and use that day with no tin using the
stannous chloride. Just test it out, you will
see if it works or not if you have any known
gold in solution to test with. It has been awhile
since I have done any testing or refining, and
I will have to make a batch up myself soon.
Jim

http://www.goldrecovery.us/
After you enter the site look at the bottom of the page and click :arrow:
NEW: Purchase items from the videos! Click here to see price list.

The tin is at the bottom of that page. Cost $1 / Gram

add 1 gram of tin powder into 30 mL of HCl gently heat in an flask until the tin starts to fizz. Remove from heat and let it sit for 10 minutes. Some time remains in the solution as it clears. Mine lasts for a month or more if kept covered. The amounts are not critical and I just eyeball the reactants.

When it gets weak, I just add a sprinkle of tin and reheat. Every three months or so I make a fresh batch.

Steve

steveonmars said:
Where do you get tin? Where do you get Stannous Chloride crystals?

Thanks
any place that sells chemicals should have it or will be able tpo order it.
the place i get mine deals mostly in swimming pool supplies but can access any chemical

Dear all, please help me,

now i make stannous cloride by disolving 6 gram of tin for soldering (60 tin/40 lead), this tin prepared first by melting it first then recool and it form small granular of tin.

then mix with HCl 35%, then heat up until it fizz, after 1 hour fizzing, it start forming small crystal on bottom but remain solution its clear, then i remove the tin residue and put small piece fresh tin and add 10 ml of HCl to re-disolved the crystal. I was hope this already provide me tin(2) cloride solution.

For testing i make gold standart solution by disolve 24k gold foil with 200micron thickness and 16x4 cm squares wide with 10 ml AR, and the result the gold totally disolved, and deep yellow solution.
Then i took 1 drop of this solution, then put 1drop tin cloride solution, but nothing happen, it still remain deep yellow,
Is that some thing wrong in my step to prepare the stannous cloride solution? Please help me....

Thank you regard

Arief

You don't want to use "60 tin/40 lead"

Look for at least 95% tin with no lead, it will probably be antimony for the other 5% and that will settle to the bottom of your solution. Or pure tin would be better, if you can find it.

Jim

Lead-free split-shot fishing sinkers are pure Tin. Available at any wally-world in the US.

Judging from the wording of his post, he may not be in the US. Would it be possible to dissolve the 60/40 solder in HCL and then filter out the PbCl 2 powder/slime for clean Stannous chloride? Perhaps if you pounded the solder super thin first to ensure maximum exposure of Sn to HCL? Never had to experiment with alternative SnCl2 synthesis do to an abundance of on-hand Sn for casting. May have to mess around with it just to expand my knowledge :|

Latest posts

Back