Mislabeled

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickbb

I hate it when I open a container and what is inside is clearly NOT what it's supposed to be.

Just opened a new jar of 100% lye, sodium hydroxide, crystal drain cleaner. I've used this same product before and it's been just what it's supposed to be. But not this time.

What are all those green and blue round balls in there. And those little bits of metal that look like Al shavings? I'm guessing it is drain cleaner all right, too bad I'm not cleaning a drain. Doubt this will be too good to use on some silver chloride.

This is Roebic brand crystal drain opener, purchased at Lowes, labeled in several places, 100% lye, 100% sodium hydroxide. Whatever it is, it's not 100% anything, much less 100% NaOH. sigh, back to the store we go.

I just picked up a two pound container from dudadiesel . I'm lucky enough to live a couple miles from them. http://www.dudadiesel.com/

You are right, those are aluminium shavings. They provide an exotherm reaction down the drain. I can't see any use for it, not even to clean the drain!

Back