Silver Nitrate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midaselm

Hi All,

been a while since I posted here although I am very much still a noobie and still learning . I have a question I am hoping someone here might help me with.

I have searched the forum as best (and googled the heck out of it ) i can but cant seem to find the info. If i am missing a obvious tread, my apologies.

I was offered a few bottles of Silver Nitrate recently (50 g bottles from 60's / 70's) , and am wondering if they would contain much silver content? I see that silver nitrate seems to sell for mad money online, and it has a few uses, so wondering if I should buy them in case I ever need .

Would 1 g of Nitrate crystal contain 1 g of silver or is there a ration of formula to calculate the content?

Thanks a million in advance for any help.
K :)

Silver nitrate reagent is normally a very pure silver nitrate salt dissolved in a fairly large volume of distilled water, used for testing purposes, (like for use in the chloride titration test).

The silver nitrate can be like 99%pure, a 5% silver nitrate solution dissolved in 95% distilled water, there may be some other percentages but this one is one common reagent.

Because of its purity and use as a reagent the silver nitrate reagent is priced not for its silver content (which will not be that much compared to the volume of water the silver salt is dissolved in), but for its purity as a testing reagent.
if your buying it for silver content you may be disappointed, but if your using it for testing purposes, and can get it at a good price then you may be able to get a good deal.

Hi midaselm

Silver nitrate powder contains 63.5 % silver metal.
So 1gram contains 0.64 g of silver. Worth about 0.48 Euro/g or £0.34/g if your based in northern Ireland.
That's at todays silver price.

Assuming the silver nitrate is a commercial product, it's worth more as it is than the silver value. If you have access to the material, is there any indication as to the purity? Is there anything like Reagent, CP, USP, etc.? The better the grade, the higher the value.

Dave

Thanks a million Eamonn , Goldsilverpro and Butcher for the quick input ,

as usual here people are very willing to spread their knowledge . Very much appreciated .

I had seen the 63% figure online during searches but wasn't certain if this related to all Silver Nitrate . The person has a couple of 50 g bottles there so might just pick them up off him .... think he wants €5 per bottle :)

Thanks Again people !
Ken

Thanks Frugal,

will try find out whether or not it is CP etc !! I havent a clue on it, it just when I was told silver nitrate i started presuming actual silver metal must be in it, but now realising people probably have far better uses for it then recovering the silver in it !!!

Thanks again all of ya !
Ken

Yes eamonn,

If i can get my hands on them I will pass them on sure. I think they will be more useful to someone on here than me trying to get silver content.

Will hopefully know soon .

Back