I give up (nitric)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upcyclist

Okay, I give up. I can't find anyone in the Baltimore/DC area willing to sell me less than a hundred gallons of nitric acid. It might be because I haven't used an actual yellow pages directory, and I'm realizing that lots of traditional chemical supply places couldn't give a hoot about advertising or listing on the interwebs ;)

I set up an account with Sigma-Aldrich to see if they'll sell to me. I'm sure I'll get hosed on hazmat shipping charges. I may add a couple more things (DMG, perhaps) to spread out the shipping costs a bit and make myself look like less of a terrorist.

--Eric

I used Duda Diesle... its always going to be expensive due to hazmat shipping charges... Only thing I can suggest is buy in volume. I got 10L for $220ish. I am always keeping an eye out for better prices though. I am not sure, but if you can find a place local you may be able to pick it up in person and avoid that hazmat shipping.

Maybe hook up with a couple of other guys and buy a large batch between you at the right price?

http://www.jadesci.com You should be able to get 500ml, 2.5L etc, I'm not sure if you need a buisness license or not.

They sell pretty much everything, fumehoods, hotplates, lab glass etc. It's in MI.

Grelko said:
http://www.jadesci.com You should be able to get 500ml, 2.5L etc, I'm not sure if you need a buisness license or not.

They sell pretty much everything, fumehoods, hotplates, lab glass etc. It's in MI.

I get my DMG from Jade and they are very picky about where they ship to.

Smack said:

Thanks for the info, I was thinking about getting some beakers and other things from them, but if it's going to be a pain, then I'll just try somewhere else.

Smack said:
Sigma-Aldrich is the same way--no PO boxes, no residential addresses.

I also found Consolidated Chemical & Solvents LLC--they say shipping is free (which I'm sure means "built into the price"), but they do carry nitric. Anyone have any experience with them?

My other tactic will be to figure out what other industries use nitric, and call them and see where they get their supply. The catch is they gotta be small enough that they don't use the "minimum order 15 gallons" folks.

Last time I bought some was from Allied Chemical in Texas. Decent price, didn't try to take me to the cleaners on shipping either.

Didn't need to ship to a business, shipped UPS ground right to my house. I think I ordered from their Amazon listing.

I don't think they will ship to a PO box but they will sell and ship to anyone.

http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=nitric

I just got an order confirmation from Jade, so I guess they don't have an issue with my address. Yay!

Although I don't get their prices--they had (from the same supplier) both a 500mL bottle and a 6x 500mL bottle set for within two dollars of each other. I may have screwed up and 6x means something else to a native chemist, but their markings are all over the place since they use different suppliers. You can see nitric strength measured in percent, degrees Baume, Molars, and Normals on their site.

as i have mentioned in the past,
I have talked to the local Pool Supplies shop owner, he orders me 4, one gallon jugs of 70% nitric acid at a time from his HCL supplier
he knows what i use it for, i have shown him videos of my process & brought in buttons. wearing my company T-shirt helps too.

talking to people that can assist you can never hurt !!

it's all about thinking outside the box, if you think inside the box you will run into the edges real quickly !!

necromancer said:
as i have mentioned in the past,
I have talked to the local Pool Supplies shop owner, he orders me 4, one gallon jugs of 70% nitric acid at a time from his HCL supplier
he knows what i use it for, i have shown him videos of my process & brought in buttons. wearing my company T-shirt helps too.

Great tip, thanks! That was exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of when I said something along the lines of "talk to folk in other industries that use nitric."

upcyclist,

You can get an awful lot of sodium nitrate and H2S04 for relitively cheap and make your own. But if you don't want to mess with making your own try these guys.

http://www.sierrachemicalcompany.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1106&category_id=6&keyword=nitric+acid&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

They used to have the prices listed but after subtracting the deposit I remember the price per gallon was very reasonable.

I'm about to give up!

I purchased 2.5L 68% HNO3 from a not-to-be-named supplier; but it doesn't act the way it should. I suspect that I received the wrong thing. For instance, I tried the way cool experiment with copper wire (under a fume hood) - no red fog, no green liquid - just a very slow yellowing. The fumes are indeed choking, so it seems reactive - but - I ordered some HCL at the same time. Could the supplier have shipped HCL in the bottle labeled Nitric Acid also ?

Back