HCL additives?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave.zap

This product I have purchased from B&Q here in the UK. Linked below.

The mds says Hydrocloric Acid 10 - 30% so that's kind of a wide range.

What I was more interested in learning, if anyone can help, is what the additive is for?

AMINES C12 C14 Alkyldimethyl,n-oxides.

I have read online that Amines added to HCL produce ammonium chloride, but why is it added?

Is this product just simply a bad source of HCL?

It is pink out of the bottle, but is working well with peroxide to digest copper.

http://www.swarfega.com/home/products/swbm5lb

Your additives are detergent. It's sold as a brick cleaning product, and marketing probably wants a decent foam.

You won't want a foaming agent if you use an air bubbler in your acid/peroxide. If it's good for you so far then fine. But in future, see if you can find straight HCl elsewhere, especially for use in Aqua Regia.

Ha ha, that will explain why it bubbles up like mad when my fish pump is running.

This is the best product I have been able to find yet unless anyone else knows a good source. Still waiting for my license.

Thought you all might like to see the mess this stuff makes :(

Attachments

• 20160312_160113.jpg
    20160312_160113.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 164
jason_recliner said:
There are several members here from ol' Blighty. Hopefully one will pipe up soon with a good HCl source for you. I would have thought your local hardware store would stock it.

I think the IRA and other did a good job of shutting down supplies.

Dave actually no.

You can buy 36% HCl online anywhere. sometimes called 36% brick acid.

You can probably get 25l for under £45 delivered if you look on fleabay. Don't mess around with the crap you bought mate, you don't need to.

Jon

Dave.zap said:
Thanks Jon, I will have a look at ebay. Just worried about running fowl of the law is all.

It's perfectly legal to own HCl and unless you're worried about the police delivering chickens to you, you won't have a problem there either mate. 8) 8)

Jon

jason_recliner said:
Your additives are detergent. It's sold as a brick cleaning product, and marketing probably wants a decent foam.

You won't want a foaming agent if you use an air bubbler in your acid/peroxide. If it's good for you so far then fine. But in future, see if you can find straight HCl elsewhere, especially for use in Aqua Regia.

can I us an air bubbler will using a/p solution

mike pezz said:
jason_recliner said:

can I us an air bubbler will using a/p solution

Yes it will help you a lot to have the bubbler running air into your solution. Make sure your air pump is above the level of your bucket of solution so it doesn't siphon off your solution if the pump stops working or you shut it off.

Back