Localized Subgroups?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yggdrasil

Staff member
Hi!
This is my first post to the forum.

First a short summary of my plans here.
I'm first and foremost here to learn how to get Rhodium from Catalythic Converters or elsewhere.
This is a one time project and not to make money, it is actually intended as a annivarsary gift to my wife :)
I need about 15-25 grams so somewhere between 20-40 cats needs to be processed.

I've been sitting on the side soaking in some of the vast throve of information here.
Since my interest in these topics were kindled I have been suprised more than once about some of the issues we have.
The most common challenge seems to be the problem of getting the proper chemicals.
And this is not a straight forward topic since members are from all parts of the world, while most things seems to be accessible at least at some levels in the various parts of USA.
Other parts of the world may have many or most materials on the "blacklist" and here it is nice to help each others out.
Naming of chemical vary around the world too, as an example here the only drain opener we can get is hydroxide based, no sulphuric, this may extend to the rest of Europe as well?
Workarounds may be the only solution some places, but each member has to make sure they don't step outside the local laws.
As an example, here in the Norway it is illegal for private persons to buy Nitric acid, Hydrogen Peroxide beyond 10% and so on.
Luckily Hydrogen Chloride and Battery acid is still available, though not easy to find. Battery acid is on the verge to be phased out due to new battery technology :-(
Are there a way of making localized groups within the chemical section to make it easier to support each other with valid local tips regarding chemicals and such?
The forum are now so big it is actually hard to find recent and relevant information. In my eyes anyway ;-)

Regards Per-Ove

Yggdrasil said:
Hi!
This is my first post to the forum.

First a short summary of my plans here.
I'm first and foremost here to learn how to get Rhodium from Catalythic Converters or elsewhere.
This is a one time project and not to make money, it is actually intended as a annivarsary gift to my wife :)
I need about 15-25 grams so somewhere between 20-40 cats needs to be processed.

I've been sitting on the side soaking in some of the vast throve of information here.
Since my interest in these topics were kindled I have been suprised more than once about some of the issues we have.
The most common challenge seems to be the problem of getting the proper chemicals.
And this is not a straight forward topic since members are from all parts of the world, while most things seems to be accessible at least at some levels in the various parts of USA.
Other parts of the world may have many or most materials on the "blacklist" and here it is nice to help each others out.
Naming of chemical vary around the world too, as an example here the only drain opener we can get is hydroxide based, no sulphuric, this may extend to the rest of Europe as well?
Workarounds may be the only solution some places, but each member has to make sure they don't step outside the local laws.
As an example, here in the Norway it is illegal for private persons to buy Nitric acid, Hydrogen Peroxide beyond 10% and so on.
Luckily Hydrogen Chloride and Battery acid is still available, though not easy to find. Battery acid is on the verge to be phased out due to new battery technology :-(
Are there a way of making localized groups within the chemical section to make it easier to support each other with valid local tips regarding chemicals and such?
The forum are now so big it is actually hard to find recent and relevant information. In my eyes anyway ;-)

Regards Per-Ove

You are better off buying the metal you need for a "one time project".

Jim

Hi Jim!

Some welcome for a first post, heh :lol:

From a pure economical view you are correct, but this is not driven by economics, it is a thing I want to do for my wife since her name closely resembles Rhodium.
For the time being I'm training on Gold from e-scrap.
I hope to get enough by my own hands, but since cats are hard to come bye I expect I will have to buy at least 50 to 75% from commercial sources or the forum.

Regards Per-Ove

Many cats contain no or little rhodium but are platinum or palladium based or a combination of both, i believe that top end cars and diesel trucks still use rhodium but again much less of that than the other metals so for the quantity of rhodium you require you are going to have to refine a lot of cats.
I personally would not want to refine this material all PGM salts are toxic and dangerous needing little exposure or contact to cause serious health issues so before you go down this route do some serious studying and reading to ensure your own safety.

HI!
Please guys, the Rhodium part was just a short introduction.
Don't anyone have anything to say about the topic?

Regards Per-Ove

I am not shure I understand your topic question. Are you suggesting we make sections in the forum for countries?
I am from Norway myself. You can get concentrated sulfuric as drain opener at OBS. But it cost about 26$ for 1 L. I will maybe get my hands on some nitrate salts soon, and if you need I could maybe sell you 1 kg. Where in Norway do you live?

Jon

Hi Jon!
I was asking if it could be an idea to create regional groups or threads regarding chemicals.
Since the challenges to get chemicals is as diverse as the part of the world we live in.
I was hoping to see if this was a possible solution and if the pros could outweigh the cons.

PS!
I live in Bergen
What kind of drain opener is that and what kind of nitric salts can you get hold of?

Regards Per-Ove

I cant remember the brand name. I have a bottle at home, so I can find it if you. But just look for the most espencive one at obs bygg.
I live in bergen to actualy, and it is potassium nitrate.

Jon

Thanks a lot Jon!

This information is very useful to me and others living in Norway, but it is at best forum fill for most of you out there.
So it may [stt]can[/stt] serve as an example of why it could be useful with regional/localized threads.

Regards Per-Ove

PS!
Sorry about my error :)

I have sent you a PM Jon

I think a localized subgroup thread would be a good idea. We have a good number of members from Europe, Asia, Southeast Asia, and more who all have issues getting some chemicals. A thread to bring them together may be useful.

If everyone used the similar topic for their thread, "Getting chemicals in Norway" for example it would be easy to find. I would also suggest they all be placed in the Chemicals section. One of the big issues we have on the forum is for members to locate the information they need in a timely manner. That is why I suggest all using similar, country specific, thread names in the same section.

Good suggestion, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks 4metals!

Might it be an idea to use this kind of nomenclature for all threads that has an obvious "local" scope?
I suggest someone in the admin level find a good setup for naming and under which circumstances we use it.
It could maybe "Chemicals in ???", "Suppliers in ????" and so on?

Just my 2 cents worth.

There are so much information in here it is easy to get lost and drown ;-)
But as a consequence of the same, us new guys spend a considerable amount of time just finding it.
Sometimes we find something just to discover another more recent thread that has more accurate or corrected information or techniques.

But C'est la vie.

Regards Per-Ove

I think 4metal's solution (pun?) is the best one. Since most of the problems getting chemicals are because of legal restrictions, these might very from country to country. Getting nitric may be easier, for example, in the Emirates than in Saudi Arabia. About the only exception would be EU-wide chemical restrictions.

Be kind to your admins and use clear subject lines, then we won't need them to create subforums that may or may not see use (depending on the country/region).

Back