Stannous

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zwai

Hello,

Is it possible that stannous show green / brown colour Palladium or is it copper reacting that way? I can't understand is it palladium or copper colour.
Solution is nitrate Cu/Ni and if stannous show correctly Pd

If somebody have overview of same situation please let me know.

Attachments

• Pilt1.jpg
    Pilt1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 234
It is possible that you have Pd in the solution. The sure way is to do a test with DMG, if you get yellow salt dropped out then you have Pd. Hope this is of some help.

Ken

jeneje said:
It is possible that you have Pd in the solution. The sure way is to do a test with DMG, if you get yellow salt dropped out then you have Pd. Hope this is of some help.

Ken

Thanks Ken,

Thing is that I have Nickel in same solution so I made a test with DMG and had green/yellow salt so my only option is cement. DMG dropped both Pd and Nickel.

I just made picture of 4 jars where cementing is in process. I just never deal with Pd and cant find any information about green/brown Pd stannous colour.

But thanks for reply Ken! I hope it is Pd on my copper plate.

Attachments

• Pd12.jpg
    Pd12.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 223
spaceships said:
What's the base material?

Hi,

Base material is some 70's landline phone server connectors and Nokia NMT server. There is very small amount of gold so I hope more PGM is used.

Attachments

• 12283067_10206970304869982_1913754163_n.jpg
    12283067_10206970304869982_1913754163_n.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 217
That Nokia kit did use a lot of PGMs. I would suggest your chances are high. Thanks for being so clear in your answer it helped a great deal.

jeneje said:
Make sure to use proper safety gear when dealing with PGM's. The salts are toxic to humans.

Ken

Hopefully I can past PGM salt process and do only cementing as it seems that purifying PGM's is lot of work. I was confused is there any precious metals as almost all material show this green with stannous (nitrate solution). I will try to cement my first solution and melt powder. If there is no other precious metals then I definitely limit only with cementing.

Regards
Ain

spaceships said:
That Nokia kit did use a lot of PGMs. I would suggest your chances are high. Thanks for being so clear in your answer it helped a great deal.

Thanks for answer!,

I hope there is some PGM's as here is almost no gold at all and palladium stannous test are very confusing as Pd recovery. At the moment I trying to recover Pd by cementing but I am afraid that there can be other metals included so cement will be mixed. Hopefully they used only Pd so cement will be quite pure.

Regards
Ain

Zwai

Ken raises a good point about PGM salts. You have a fair amount of kit there, and it's a lot safer to precipitiate your values as metals, melt them together and assay the bar then sell it "as is" rather than mess with the salts.

Even the solutions are toxic so take care, wear proper gloves and work under a fume hood.
Add a bubbler to your solution wnphen cementing it speeds things up.

Is it good thing to cover jars with plastic while cementing? Thing is that I keep them abut 30C degree and it slowly evaporate. As well bubbler make evaporation faster but it seems that evaporating isn't good thing?

Regards
Ain

In general, a good rule of thumb is to loosely cover any solutions that are reacting. This allows a little reflux (recycling) of precious reagents. Never seal tightly.

When evaporating, an entirely different process for a distinct purposes such as concentrating or denoxxing solutions, you should not cover as this prevents effective evaporation.

When cementing, a loose cover may help to keep insects out.

jason_recliner said:
In general, a good rule of thumb is to loosely cover any solutions that are reacting. This allows a little reflux (recycling) of precious reagents. Never seal tightly.

When evaporating, an entirely different process for a distinct purposes such as concentrating or denoxxing solutions, you should not cover as this prevents effective evaporation.

When cementing, a loose cover may help to keep insects out.

Hi Jason,

Thank you for reply. I keep them close as I don't want that copper bars lose surfase area when level of solution falls

Regards
Ain

Back