Totally Ignorant Throwing Myself on the Mercy of the Forum

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
guys.
I am so not a chemist. I am not a scientist. I am an awful liberal arts major. BUT I've come into possession like 70 grams of reclaimed gold pins from inside cellphones (I think). It was a parting gift from a dickhead boyfriend. THUS I really cant wait to turn this shit into gold and profit, get something out of the mess. What I have read: I need a filtration system (200ish on amazon?) and some kind of acid. I don't know where to get this acid, I am terrified to work with acid. I don't know if thats even correct or if thats the best way to do it. SO if one of your guys would take pity on me and walk me thru this or, better yet, if you're in SoCal and you can just, like, do it for me, I'd reward? Baked goods? Idk. I keep looking at this gold just sitting and it's driving me nuts so here I am.
Thanks in advance

Best advice, sell it on eBay. 70 grams of gold plated pins doesn't contain much gold.
To start up a refining shop, even at a hobby level, would cost more to buy acids and equipment than the gold from 70 g of pins would give.

Göran

shootinginthedark said:
are you serious? I should have known that idiot was full of crap, 1200 worth of gold my ass.
thanks.

Seeing that it's 70 grams of cellphone pins which are "gold plated" I hate to say this but, the 1200 he said they're worth, is going to be closer to 12 cents, if that much. I agree Ebay would be your best bet.

Grelko said:
shootinginthedark said:
are you serious? I should have known that idiot was full of crap, 1200 worth of gold my ass.
thanks.

Seeing that it's 70 grams of cellphone pins which are "gold plated" I hate to say this but, the 1200 he said they're worth, is going to be closer to 12 cents, if that much. I agree Ebay would be your best bet.
9PysEeI.png

Are we talking about the same thing? He explained that it's gold inside and theres solder on the outside or whatever. I dont know that theyre from cellphones but I think so? LMK if the photo is clear enough to tell?

shootinginthedark said:
Are we talking about the same thing? He explained that it's gold inside and theres solder on the outside or whatever. I dont know that theyre from cellphones but I think so? LMK if the photo is clear enough to tell?

I'm not sure if it's the lighting, but those look like they have a head on them like tiny nails or tacks.

If those are from a cellphone board, and going by an average of say 1g/pound of gold from plated pins (some pins have more/less, fully plated/partially plated etc.)

Pure gold .999 is at $1,276.90 per ounce right now. (31.103g in an ounce)
Approximately $41.05 per gram

1 gram of pure gold per pound of plated pins
453.5 grams in a pound
You have 70 grams of gold plated pins
Comes out to around 0.154 grams multiplied by $41.05 per gram

Edit - I swear my math is wrong somewhere.

Would be $6.32 Ok, I'm sorry for sounding a bit harsh in my response, I was wrong about the 12 cents. You may be able to get $10 or 15 from ebay depending on what I've seen plated pins go for.

pins from green fiber cpus removed with a torch... or by the look they have, a bit too roasted, maybe the whole cpu was burned...

maybe 10$ on ebay, but people like to see shinny things in order to overpay...

You can not tell what elements are present in a photo,so we can not tell definitively but components use gold plating which returns 0.5 -4g a kilo not including solder and non-plated parts.
I hope your ex did not leave you in to bad a position and owe you too much.
I always use to give jewellery I guess times have changed.

Grelko said:
shootinginthedark said:

I'm not sure if it's the lighting, but those look like they have a head on them like tiny nails or tacks.

If those are from a cellphone board, and going by an average of say 1g/pound of gold from plated pins (some pins have more/less, fully plated/partially plated etc.)

453.5 grams in a pound

Would be $6.32 Ok, I'm sorry for sounding a bit harsh in my response, I was wrong about the 12 cents. You may be able to get $10 or 15 from ebay depending on what I've seen plated pins go for.

an ounce is 28.3 unless theres some gold measurement im not aware of? His explanation was it was just a thin layer of solder on them and the bulk of the weight was gold. out of the 3ish oz he assumed I'd get a little more than an oz. Where the hell is everyone involved getting their guesses??

shootinginthedark said:
Grelko said:
shootinginthedark said:

453.5 grams in a pound

an ounce is 28.3 unless theres some gold measurement im not aware of? His explanation was it was just a thin layer of solder on them and the bulk of the weight was gold. out of the 3ish oz he assumed I'd get a little more than an oz. Where the hell is everyone involved getting their guesses??
There is a different kind of Oz with precious metals called a "Troy Ounce" it is 31.1g.
And sorry to have to burst your bubble ,But why would anyone make an electronic pin from solid gold?
They are plated and mass produced which is how they keep the cost down.
By all means send a sample to two or more services to confirm our anecdotal input.
Good luck,fingers crossed they are dental implant pins and not from cell phon's

shootinginthedark said:
Where the hell is everyone involved getting their guesses??

We are not "guessing" --- we work with this kind of stuff everyday - that is what this forum is about

What you have there is gold "plated" pins from the CPUs (central processing unit) that comes out of a computer

The pins them selves are made out of kovar which is an iron alloy that then has a (thin) gold plating applied to it

If you hold a magnet over them the magnet will pick them up due to the "fact" that the pins (them selves) are made of kovar (iron alloy)

Gold plated pins from electronics will run anywhere from 1 gram of gold per pound of pins to as high as 3 grams of gold per pound of pins depending on when they were made & the manufacture that made them

There is 454 grams in a pound so even at the high end of 3 grams per pound your 70 grams of pins would have .46 of a gram

However there is also "some" gold in the solder that attached the pins to the CPU so they "might" run a bit more then .5 gram in the 70 grams of pins

Now then --- please clean up your language if you are going to continue posting on this forum --- first of all we don't really care about your opinion of your ex boy friend --- & in the second place we have members here that use this forum to teach their kids about this --- continuing to use foul language "will" lead to being banned

Kurt

kurtak said:
shootinginthedark said:
Where the hell is everyone involved getting their guesses??

We are not "guessing" --- we work with this kind of stuff everyday - that is what this forum is about

What you have there is gold "plated" pins from the CPUs (central processing unit) that comes out of a computer

The pins them selves are made out of kovar which is an iron alloy that then has a (thin) gold plating applied to it

If you hold a magnet over them the magnet will pick them up due to the "fact" that the pins (them selves) are made of kovar (iron alloy)

Gold plated pins from electronics will run anywhere from 1 gram of gold per pound of pins to as high as 3 grams of gold per pound of pins depending on when they were made & the manufacture that made them

There is 454 grams in a pound so even at the high end of 3 grams per pound your 70 grams of pins would have .46 of a gram

However there is also "some" gold in the solder that attached the pins to the CPU so they "might" run a bit more then .5 gram in the 70 grams of pins

Now then --- please clean up your language if you are going to continue posting on this forum --- first of all we don't really care about your opinion of your ex boy friend --- & in the second place we have members here that use this forum to teach their kids about this --- continuing to use foul language "will" lead to being banned

Kurt

someone doesnt understand a playful tone when he reads one. jesus please ban me how stuffy can you be

everyone else, thanks for clearing up misinformation for a noob. appreciate ya'll.

shootinginthedark said:

Kurt

someone doesnt understand a playful tone when he reads one. jesus please ban me how stuffy can you be

shootinginthedark

It has "nothing" to do with not understanding your so called "playful tone" --- its a "forum rule" --- no foul language & no flaming post --- in other words posting in a manner that is disrespectful &/or that may be offensive to some people is not allowed on this forum --- doing so is breaking the forum rules & will lead to banning

Trust me shootinginthedark --- when I hang out with some of my adult friends around the camp fire drinking beer I can hold my own with the use of colorful language in the telling of stories &/or discussion (so I am not stuffy) but I also have enough respect for others that I hold my tongue when in public &/or when hanging out with friends that have kids &/or that I know are offended by such language

I do not have the authority to ban you - that is up to a moderator - I was simply informing you that using foul language &/or posting in a manner that "some" may find offensive is NOT tolerated on this forum & it WILL lead to banning by one of the moderators --- it not a rule that we enforce because we are "stuffy" - but rather it is a rule we enforce because we hold to a format wherein we hold respect in high regard

Going out on a limb - should your liberal arts major lead to your designing & making jewelry this forum would be a good source of information for you --- it would be a shame for you to throw that away because you think you are entitled to present yourself anyway you like & then find your self banned because you lack respect for the forum rules

Edit to add; - in other words not only did I take my time to give you a detailed explanation concerning your pins --- I also took the time to inform you of the forum rules for posting IF you wish to continue to be a member here

Kurt

shootinginthedark said:
As you wish. You're banned.

Others who read this thread in the future should understand we take our rules seriously. When someone takes their time to offer advice it's customary to say thank you, not argue with them or insult them. As stated in our rules, we expect everyone to be on their best behavior here. If you can't abide by our rules, don't expect to be a member for long.

Most importantly, if you're going to ask to be banned, you can count on me to grant your wish.

Dave

To be honest after the tone of the very first two posts I'm surprised people bothered engaging this nitwit. 8) 8)

Going by what the ex said, I'll bet those pins are like six inches long too! HA!
They look de-plated or roosted/burned way too much to me. I do buy stuff from Fleabay sometimes but I would never buy those. Looks like someone took the gold off already. Not that I buy pins anyways, but....

Rick

Latest posts

Back