Chemicals in the Nordic countries, Norway

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yggdrasil

Staff member
Hi as a way to keep regulated and localized issues in one place I'll start this post this way as per 4metals suggestion.

So far I have been able to get most chemicals needed.
As per Lanfears help and suggestion one can get 90 percent sulfuric acid as draincleaner, at a premium cost appr 300 NoK/l OBS bygg
Or one can buy battery acid which should be around 35 ish percent (Very good as it don't contain additives, but may need concentrating)
HCl can be bought at OBS/Jernia and so on in 30 percent for about 100 NoK/l.
It is also available in 36 percent 5 liter cans at wholesale chemical shops(allowed for privates to buy as it has a child-safe cap appr 50 NoK/l )
Hydrogen Peroxide can be bought at farmacies at ludicrous prices. I payed 164Nok for 100ml 10 percent (Had to start somewhere :roll: )
At wholesale chemical shops prices are far better, but the one I'm using sells only in 25L quantities.

Most other chemicals are available at the wholesale Chemical shops as a registered company.
For lab grade chemicals one has to go to shops like Fredriksen and so on. But they don't sell to personal one men companies.

If someone has more information regarding local supplies of chemicals in Norway please share with us.
I think it might even be possible to get it shipped from/to Sweden or Denmark?
Do anyone have any information on the legalities regarding this?

If you looking to make AR then look up poor mans AR here on the forum it's a work round method when nitric is not available or very expensive.

Hi!
Thanks for the input Nick (I hope it is Nick).

I'm fully aware of that, but it is actually almost as hard or harder to find Sodium Nitrate due to some idiot misusing it.
Actually even calcium nitrate may or may not be hard to get.

Thats the beauty of the HCl/Cl process, it circumvent almost completely the need for nitric. (We may still need it sometimes though)

The intent of this thread was to discuss regional supply issues and legal regulations regarding chemical supplies.
There might be ways to overcome hurdles or different approaches available.

Anyone with supply issues and/or ways to overcome them, please post.
Everything kept within legal frames of course.

try with amazon.de if they ship to norway

they have at least H2SO4, HCl, H2O2, nitrates, oxalic acid and sulfamic acid (sulfaminsäure), metal powders and oxides - a lot of useful refining material, also lab ware

Thanks Bjørn!
I have noted that both Ebay and Amazon has a plethora of nice to have lab ware, but chemicals may be seized by customs so I have yet to try it.
How is Amazon.de comparing to .com and .co.uk?
Deutchland may be a good place to go for car holiday.
And then bring back something hard to get :)

For my self I have been able to get hold of what I need for the moment.
If I want to get legally hold of more chemicals I just need to upgrade my company.
More paperwork :-(
Maybe apply for some kind of licence?

There is one thing I have not yet invested in and that is proper filters.
Are there some general recommendations in this respect?

Hi Bjørn!
Do you have good online chemical shops in Germany to buy filters, glassware and so on?
It is very few of these in Norway and the prices are quite high, for instance a Whatman No5 240mm will cost somewhere around 80-120 Euro depending on the shop.

Back