KDF 5.0 out of 5 stars 4 Reviews KDF 85 Filtration Media for Sulfur, Iron, Bacteria, Heavy Metals (1 lb.)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

learn2live34

Has anyone heard if this of this KDF 85 filtration media. There are other types of this KDF. Just woundering if this would work using on the waste of iron chloride after the copper recovery? Would i just have to neutralize after using this media? I wounder if this would work, could i could just skip using iron to cement the copper ?

I assume you mean this: https://www.amazon.com/KDF-Filtration-Sulfur-Bacteria-Metals/dp/B00538GXNM

I'm not sure, but if this stuff is $15/lb (including shipping), and you can buy a 5-lb bag of hydrated lime for the same price on Amazon (nevermind the fact that it's probably cheaper at your local Ace or farm store), why would you?

Also, you'd still have to neutralize, and that's what actually drops the metals out (assuming you take it above 7, then back down). So now you've paid $15/lb and not saved a step.

KDF
From what I can tell the media is composed of a copper and zinc powder,some materials are just filtered or captured in the media (Cu, Ni, Hg,). Some are reduced through electron exchange (ferrous, HS).

The system uses some type of back-washing to remove reduced metal hydroxides (to me this also implies some type of hydroxide involved like NaOH), and sulfides.

Sounds to me like this product would be good for water treatment, but not for waste treatment in our processes...

This type of media is designed for cleaning up well water. The wastes we would put through are likely way outside of the operating parameters for pH, iron, and chlorides. Stick with a bag of lime.

4metals said:
Stick with a bag of lime.

That does kinda go with my comment about keeping it simple. Learn the basics and the chemistry behind the basics and it will serve you well. It will also save you a lot of money.

Latest posts

Back