Is Sodium sulfide and sodium sulphide the same thing? From my understanding they are.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

learn2live34

I am getting around to learning how to drop silver out of fixer solution. I am planning on using sodium sulfide to drop the silver. My question isnt to complex but was wanting to clear one thing. Is sodium sulfide and sodium sulphide the same chemical? From my understanding, thay are the same.

Americans mis spell Sulphur as Sulfur :D It's probably got something to do with using one letter instead of two. :shock: :shock:

Yes it's the same thing.

Yes this is the info i was gathering also. The chemical formula was the same regaurdless of the spelling. Thanks for the quick response

We darn ol'Merican's also misspronounce Aluminum/Aluminium and alot of other words compared to our friends from accross the pond.

It's not misspelled because it's in the dictionary with both spellings. It's just a different spelling for the same thing. I guess you could say it's a regional spelling because the spelling depends on where you are geographically. 32% HCl is 20°Baume hydrochloric acid. Here in the US it is muriatic acid. Totally different spelling for the exact same thing.

Geo said:
It's not misspelled because it's in the dictionary with both spellings. It's just a different spelling for the same thing. I guess you could say it's a regional spelling because the spelling depends on where you are geographically. 32% HCl is 20°Baume hydrochloric acid. Here in the US it is muriatic acid. Totally different spelling for the exact same thing.

Yeah like sense of humour and sense of humor. :D

Muriate is an ancient word pretty much meaning salt. Homeopaths have a treatment called natrum muriaticum which, as you can probably guess, is sodium chloride. This is where hydrochloric gets it muriatic name; it's not Latin for chlorine.

As has been said, sulphur and sulfur are the same thing. Sulphur was probably the original, but for chemistry the world has standardised on sulfur. So we deal with it and move on. My browser corrects it back to ..ph.. every time I type it, so I have to deliberately follow up with a Ctrl-Z. Sometimes I might miss one, but I always try to spell it correctly.

A speller does not define a fine refiner. With that said, and this is not meant to be haughty, I think it's just plain respectful to always spell as correctly as possible. Especially with someone's name.

And that brings me to this pair of posts. What is so unusual about them in this thread?
anachronism said:
Geo said:

Yeah like sense of humour and sense of humor. :D
Beautiful irony, that's what. Not counting the deliberate words like 'Mericans, or regional differences, every single other post here about misspellings is utterly riddled with misspellings. It's like a cheese grater for my eyes!

Wouldn't it be easier if the Brit's just took back control of their former colony and enforced proper spelling all across the US? :wink:

Maybe they could clear up that whole their/there/they're- and quit/quite/quiet-mess at the same time?

I mean, I'm a Norwegian, and I cringe quite a lot at their simple mistakes. They should quit misspelling over there, they're making themselves look like fools... :twisted:

And before anyone says it; my horse is really, really tall...

/rant

Hey, don't forget some of the forum classics...

"break" "brake"
"safety" "saftey" (147 of those on the forum)
"etc" "ect"

The last one is Harold's favourite. :lol:

Another one, "aluminum" and "aluminium", the second spelling is used by wikipedia but marked as wrong in my spell checker.

Göran

Latest posts

Back