Precipitation Of Gold from spent Acid gold plating Solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papap

I am interested in recovering about 3 troy ozs of gold from an acid gold plating solution pH 4.3,which does not work because of neglect(no maintenance) for many years.I could try to electrowin it,but I would like to precipitate it with SodiumBorohydide because it is a much faster process.What I am not sure is:Does it precipitate all the Gold? And is the precipitate,easily melted with a propane torch?
I could experiment with it,but I hope there are experts on this board, that can save me of trying to reinvent the wheel.Also I can not find references on using NaBH4 to precipitate Gold on this board.I know NaBH4 is a powerful
reducing agent,but I have not in all my searches find many recommendations for it,and it makes me wonder if it is the way to go.

Thank you
papap

The reason we don't discuss the Borohydride on this forum much is because the Borohydride is such a powerful reducing agent that it would bring down all of the other metals in a solution as well. In your case it isn't likely an issue as it was a gold plating solution, but for most solutions we generate here the precipitant needs to be a bit more selective to attain the purity we seek.

Plus sodium borohydride (or Venmet solution) is something that isn't available readily to most of our members so it never comes up.

Regarding Venmet solution - I assume a trial with only NaOH is preferred considering the wild reaction of borohydride

4metals, in situations where there are a bunch of other metals (like copper and nickel), sometimes it is expedient to halfway reduce the lot and let the other metals cement out the precious metals.

There are some instances where borohydride is rather tame!

hi Papa, Sodium Borohydride is a catch all precipitant not advisable . If you have gold chloride solution use
a chlorine neutralizer such as sodium thiosulfate ( used to clean tap water of chlorine suitable
for Pet fish tanks )

Barstool Miner

Back