Boil in HCL only or just SOAK in AP solution?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realtechedo

Thanks guys for your usual cooperation, this is my first attempt processing pins and really need your candid suggestions. These pins are mainly from old motherboard say Pentium II and III, desktop motherboard to be precise and as you guys will always advice to start up with small quantity.. So I have about 105 grams of these pins. But my question is should I boil in HCL only for say the suggested 3 to 4 hrs or just soak the pins in AP solution for days or weeks. And if there is any important thing to do also, please, do not hesitate to add in your explanation. Thanks and God bless you all...

Attachments

• 20170527_124815.jpg
    20170527_124815.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 225
Hi there

If you have 105gr of these pins then sorry but you're not even going to see the gold from them. Excuse my candour Sir I mean no harm but you need to have a lot more before you consider refining them.

Boiling in HCl will not take away the base metals, but you could leave them in AP solution which if well aired (i.e. a good air pump) would not take weeks. However you're honestly not going to see much gold flake with this quantity.

I hope that helps

Jon

AP is for etching copper (non magnetic) very very slowly, boiling HCl will dissolve Kovar (magnetic) base metal very very slowly.

Jon has given you an answer with the benefit of years of experience, consider it seriously.

The best option for pins is usually approaches that remove the gold and leave the base metals, with these you have Cyanide based leaches and Concentrated Sulfuric Acid Cells.

realtechedo, there are several ways to process pins like that. As kernels said, the best option is one that just removes the gold without dissolving the base metal because they are mostly base metal. Cyanide and the sulfuric stripping cell will both do that, but many members aren't able, or comfortable, with those processes.

AP will work to dissolve the base metals. Usually when members start with HCl, it's to remove any solder, which contains tin, before dissolving the other base metals. It's hard to tell from the picture if you have solder on some of the pins, but if you do, HCl will remove it before you put them in AP. After the HCl, AP will dissolve the rest of the base metals.

As Jon said, use an air bubbler to keep the AP oxygenated and moving. While there won't be much gold left from your 105 grams, I agree with starting with small batches to get the feel for the process. You should end up with some foils. Save them and add them to your next batch, and soon you'll have enough to refine and melt a small button.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
realtechedo, there are several ways to process pins like that. As kernels said, the best option is one that just removes the gold without dissolving the base metal because they are mostly base metal. Cyanide and the sulfuric stripping cell will both do that, but many members aren't able, or comfortable, with those processes.

AP will work to dissolve the base metals. Usually when members start with HCl, it's to remove any solder, which contains tin, before dissolving the other base metals. It's hard to tell from the picture if you have solder on some of the pins, but if you do, HCl will remove it before you put them in AP. After the HCl, AP will dissolve the rest of the base metals.

As Jon said, use an air bubbler to keep the AP oxygenated and moving. While there won't be much gold left from your 105 grams, I agree with starting with small batches to get the feel for the process. You should end up with some foils. Save them and add them to your next batch, and soon you'll have enough to refine and melt a small button.

Dave

Thanks FrugalRefiner, I will need to scrap more value then before I start this process. Thanks once again, God bless you..

Back