Hydrogen Chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slaughlin79

I’m having a problem finding info about Hydrogen Chloride. This is my first time to write a post or reply as I recently signed up, but have been hear many times in the past to read and also use the search function. I’ve downloaded Lady Hokes book and I’m reading. I explain this bc I don’t want anyone thinking I’m lazy and just don’t care to show any initiative. With that said I have searched and I’ve found a times where hydrogen chloride has been brought up but the info I needed was not there. I bought some Kem Tek Muriatic acid but the label says it’s 31.45 hydrogen chloride and that kinda screwed me up. Ive searched for the differences between the two, and one guy explained it like this. He said. Its like drinking lemonade vs trying to drink the lemonade powder and then I got more confused bc well what I bought is a liquid and not a powder. I also know that powder is referring to Hydrogen Chloride Gas. So my question is can I use this like I would Hcl to make Aqua Regia? Thanks guys and gals

Hydrogen chloride (HCl) is a gas. When the gas is dissolved in water, it is what we know as hydrochloric acid or muriatic acid. The names hydrochloric acid and muriatic acid are pretty interchangeable. What you have is what we generally refer to as concentrated hydrochloric acid, also called concentrated HCl. Yes, you can use it for all the processes described here.

Dave

Hydrogen chloride (HCl) is a gas and hydrochloric acid, a liquid, is hydrogen chloride gas dissolved in water. Muriatic acid is slightly less pure hydrochloric acid and is about 85% of the strength of 37% technical grade hydrochloric acid. Muriatic acid works fine in aqua regia and most forum members use it instead of a tech grade hydrochloris acid. The advantages of muriatic acid is that it's readily available (hardware stores) and it's available in 1 gallon quantities. It's also fairly cheap, but not as cheap as tech grade hydrochloric acid in 55gal drum quantities. All of the above can be considered to be HCl.

Thanks to both of you. Yeah It was the Hydrogen chloride that was throwing me off and the way one person had explained the difference. I usually buy my Muriatic at Sherwin Williams at 20 dollars a gallon:bottle until I found this stuff at Lowe’s for 13 dollars but for two gallons. Oh and it’s stronger. Well cool I hit the jackpot. Thanks again

Slaughlin, make sure you buy the regular muriatic, with the "Blue label" at Lowe's, and not the green label one. The green label has additives the can create some problems while processing a batch!

Take care!
Phil

Slaughlin79 said:
I don’t want anyone thinking I’m lazy and just don’t care to show any initiative.

now that Is a great attitude, I see others have helped you already, so let me just welcome you to the forum!

By the way, don`t be afraid to also check wikipedia on questions like these, I mean, the old gal sometimes gets a bad rap on some more nuanced questions, but it still is a great source on basic technical information!

I appreciate those words niks and I’m happy I finally signed on.I’ve been reading this forum for years and in almost every topic I see someone saying they need read Hokes book and or at least try to find the info before asking. I’m a believer in that. When you try to find the answers yourself you just so happen to accidentally stubbleupon a lot of other info you might find useful in the future. Like getting two stones with one bird. :D

How can I replace the HCL? Can you use some mixture with kitchen salt and another acid?

zachy said:
How can I replace the HCL? Can you use some mixture with kitchen salt and another acid?
It depends... what acid do you have access to and what are you planning to do with it.

Göran

kernels said:
zachy said:

Hydrochloric acid is cheap and freely available in most countries, not much reason to re-invent the wheel.

I want to do it, I do not have sulfuric acid, any ideas?

zachy said:
kernels said:
zachy said:

Hydrochloric acid is cheap and freely available in most countries, not much reason to re-invent the wheel.

I want to do it, I do not have sulfuric acid, any ideas?

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=15611&p=203985#p203979

I tried this on a very small scale in a test tube with damp pH paper and it looked like it works but didn't try anything on a larger scale.

But that system is very difficult, since calcining PVC, without the presence of oxygen implies the manufacture of a reactor, because I want to obtain large volumes of hydrochloric acid. Is not there another way that is mixing some product?

I added a section on the wiki about HCl production. Nothing fancy, just a few pointers and a Nurdrage youtube link.

http://goldrefiningwiki.com/mediawiki/index.php/Hydrochloric_acid

/Göran

Back