Nitric acid in St Louis MO

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmatch83

Hello everyone.

I have been learning silver and gold recovery/refining as a hobby for the last few months with mixed results so far. Since finding this forum I have answered many questions, but feel its time to step it up a bit.

I intend to build up a stash of gold and silver as a cushion for my later years so not looking to get rich as much as to have a hobby that will leave me with somthing of value for later on. I have found a few small shops that will sell scrap gold and silver to me for what the refiner pays them so now I need a source of nitric acid.

Does anyone know where in the St Louis area that I can buy nitric so far my calls have mostly gone unanswered. Im to cheap to pay the prices some of the online retailers are asking.

I forgot to add St Louis MO. Was in a hurry to post at the end of my break last night, I hate midnights.

Thank you for the offer though, but St Louis MI is a 16 hour round trip.

Smack that's really good of you to offer that - much respect mate. Truly.

That given I wouldn't give someone with 1 post on the forum Nitric acid- my conscience wouldn't let me.

I would definitely have had a lengthy conversation with him prior to providing it.

It was a very kind and unexpected offer, but unfortunately im to far away. I understand the caution also.

I have been lurking on the forum for a few months just taking in everything I can think to search for. I am fairly new to recovery/refining so still have alot more questions than answers but thats part of the fun. I got interested after watching sreetips videos and the more I read the more interested I get.

As of now I will continue the hunt for nitric acid locally I just hope to find a source before it gets warm so I can finish up a 2 pound batch of silver this spring. Also trying to figure out gold filled recovery as well but havent had a clean recovery yet. I ordered lasersteves gold filled dvd so hopefully that answers a few more questions.

Ok so quick question for you all

I have made small batches of nitric by mixing potassium nitrate and sulfuric acid and distillation but each batch i end up with around 150ish ml of an unknown concentration. Im probably at 12 dollars for each batch so not saving anything there and there is alot of clean up involved. My question does the waste potassium sulfate have any uses? As of now I redesolve in distilled water and plan on evaporating off the water to recrystalize but not sure what to do with it yet.

I have used this "recipe" with success on e-scrap items. Maybe it will help you?

HOMEMADE NITRIC ACID

Just mix as follows. (makes about 1.5 quarts)
(adjust recipe for the volume you need)
Take 1 cup of sodium nitrate and grind it to a fine powder in a blender / food processor.
(Don't use the food processor for food again. Go get a cheap one at Goodwill!)

Add 1/2 cup of water to keep the dust down when grinding the sodium nitrate.
(use distilled water if you have it)

Dump the ground sodium nitrate into a large jar (gallon size pickle jar).
Then add another 1/2 cup of water to the blender container and rinse the residue into the 1 gallon jar.
(use distilled water if you have it)

Stir the sodium nitrate and water mix and let that sit for at least 1 hour.

Now add 1 quart of sulfuric acid (auto battery acid).
Stir the solution a couple times and let it set overnight.

The next day pour off just the liquid without pouring off any of the white sodium nitrate residue.

Thank your for the reply and I will definitely try it here soon. What strength would it come out to roughly?

Thought I would update on my nitric endeavors. I made up a batch a few nights ago and all looks ok so far, i just need a day off to try it on a batch of gold filled that I started with the last of the distilled nitric I had.

1ml gave me a reaction on copper when it was 16 degress out side some hoping all will go well with a lil heat.

Thank you again for everyones help here. I cant wait to get going on the gold scraps

Rmatch83 said:
I forgot to add St Louis MO. Was in a hurry to post at the end of my break last night, I hate midnights.

Thank you for the offer though, but St Louis MI is a 16 hour round trip.

Are you still doing and recovery of gold?

Back