Dealing with 30% sulfuric acid within lead batteries to dissolve BGA chips

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uciocciu

Hi guys,

As you know, lead batteries contain 30% sulfuric acid .

Is it possible to use it to dissolve BGA Chips ?

Will it take only more time to dissolve the plastic, (comparing to 98% sulfuric acid) ?

thank you for your responses,
Best,
U ciocciu

@archeonist

it would be for wet ashing indeed, if ever.

I understand perfectly your point of view: you want to protect the membres/readers , especially when they are novice. I do not intend to practice methods I don't manage perfectly.

But could you merely give me your feeling about my question ?

Thank you in advance,

O

As long there is water present you won't be able to reach a temperature that is high enough. So no, 30% will not work.

Thank you archeonist.

Do you mean water presence is the driver of sulfuric acid purity ?

The question your not asking is the important one, if you use 98% sulphuric and get it very hot it will eat most things including your lungs, if you use a weaker sulphuric it will not do the same job your hoping it will but in honesty be grateful, fuming sulphuric acId is really nasty and I really wouldn’t advise it’s use to anyone without strict lab conditions and safety controls.

you're right , it's going to take time more than the 98% one , but you can do it in a well ventilated place, preferably outdoor or better than that , to prevent any injury , but keep in mind that SAFETY FIRST , :D

charlie2 said:
you're right , it's going to take time more than the 98% one , but you can do it in a well ventilated place, preferably outdoor or better than that , to prevent any injury , but keep in mind that SAFETY FIRST , :D

I'm not entirely sure that it is the same. The whole wet ashing thing is efficient because of the temperature you can heat pure sulphuric acid to.

Simply boiling sulfuric acid will drive the water away till a 98% concentration is reached (also called azeotrope). From that point the azeotrope itself will boil so you'd have sulfuric acid vapors leaving and coroding everything in their path, including your lungs (this is visible as white, heavy fumes). This is reason why wet ashing using sulfuric acid is very dangerous. If your vessel cracks/spills you don't want to be burned by that stuff ! Beside the thermal burn you'd also be chemically burned.

So really, unless you have a good fumehood and very good glassware it's not worth it.

Back