test solutions

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes i do. if i cant make, then buying is an option. but as 9 times out of 10 making it yourself is cheaper...

id lso like to see if these solutions can be used to test the gold content of gold baring metals from e-scrap. if they can be, that would save much time and money for me in the future. me and anyone else whod use them like that as well.

My question was either-or, so yes is not a answer that works

There is not really any point to test Gold bearing metals from Ewaste, the Gold is either clearly visible to the naked eye or trapped deep inside ICs.

For testing for Gold in solution, you want to search for Stannous Chloride. But basically, dissolve a few grams of Tin in 15ml of HCl. This has to be done hot, so the HCl will create a significant amount of corrosive vapor.

I have been looking all over the city for stannous no one has it. I didn't know it was that simple to make thank you

I use 96/4 tin/silver solder. Clip a few pieces into a small dropper bottle of Hcl. Works well and is about as cheap and handy as you can get.

Once you made stannous chloride and tested positive on gold cloride, make a little bit diluted solution of the gold chloride that gives just a tiny positive reaction.
You can use that (standard)solution to test if your stannous still works. One drop of AuCl on 15ml of water for instance. Depends on the gold content of your solution.
So every time you have doubts or you get no reaction when testing, you can verify if the stannous works.

If i remember correct, i made my stannous cold and added a piece of tin (98% tin solder) to the drop bottle to keep it fresh. A couple grams.

Look in the forum for false positives. Different test colours indicate different metals in solution.gold is purple. Platinum and palladium have other colors. Copper also reacts i believe.
The colours vary and get darker if the concentration of metal is higher.
This thread has some good info.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=25072

Martijn.

Back