Solution turning green

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moaz_alc

Hello, Im new to the forum. Recently, I tried the gold recovery process as a project for my school and Ive ran into a problem.
I used HCl and 3% H2O2 at first to collect the foils from the computer scrap and I collected a decent amount almost enough for 1 gram of pure gold.
Then I used the HCl and bleach method to dissolve the gold, The solution turned yellow just like i expected it to. Then I filtered it and the solution turned light green. I didn't even add any extra bleach or anything it just happened by itself.
What did I do wrong?

Nothing at all the chances are you have some copper dissolved in with the gold foil and probably other metals, it shouldn’t cause any problems when you precipitate your gold as we use selective precipitants plus with a good Hcl clean of the precipitated gold it should remove any base metals.

nickvc said:
Nothing at all the chances are you have some copper dissolved in with the gold foil and probably other metals, it shouldn’t cause any problems when you precipitate your gold as we use selective precipitants plus with a good Hcl clean of the precipitated gold it should remove any base metals.

Thank you nick. I was really frustrated about it when it turned light green. So when I add the SMB, and the gold precipitates, How do I do the HCl clean? Or if you can give me a link or a post for a step by step process.

Decant the tested barren solution wash the powder well with water and decant into solution, add Hcl and heat, you can actually boil it, again decant into the waste solution and wash well with water and then when the water looks clear of color add more water and boil, if the water takes on color repeat until it’s colorless.
You may dissolve a little gold with the Hcl wash so test your solution.

nickvc said:
Decant the tested barren solution wash the powder well with water and decant into solution, add Hcl and heat, you can actually boil it, again decant into the waste solution and wash well with water and then when the water looks clear of color add more water and boil, if the water takes on color repeat until it’s colorless.
You may dissolve a little gold with the Hcl wash so test your solution.

Thank you!

Back