General Safety Precautions -Everyone Please Read This

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazersteve

Staff member
Now that things are getting going in this forum it's time for everyone to get past the Chemistry basics.

First and foremost if you haven't done your homework on EVERY CHEMICAL you are dealing with, you are asking for a disaster. You should use Google and Wiki to look up EVERY CHEMICAL you will be coming into contact with.

http://www.google.com and http://www.wikipedia.org

Start with a google search for the chemical name followed by ' MSDS'. Next search wiki for the chemical name and study the information therein. This is very important for your own personal safety!

skullnbonessmallrevip5.jpg
No amount of gold is worth losing your vision, skin, brain, or LIFE over!

Some of the chemicals used to process the gold change forms from solid to gas when heated or mixed with other substances. Some of the liquid by products produced are deadly and absorbed thru the skin. You need to know how to avoid these things BEFORE you get started.

The number one rule of Chemistry is: SAFETY FIRST!

If you can't find information on a substance PM me and I'll find it for you.

Steve

Steve,

Great thoughts on the safety issue....

Have you ever heard of this potential safety issue? The process I am using is a recovery cell, which contains sulfuric acid with a atouch of glycerine. While exchanging e mails with someone who professed to be a chemist, I was warned that with contamination, the acid could becone nitric vs. sulfuric, and there would be the potential of inadvertantly cooking up a batch of nitroglycerine.

Now, since then I have only been processing my filters etc, and have yet to begin processing in the cell... Would hate to end up in the bottom of a crater so to speak.

PErhaps this is completely incorrect, and perhaps not... Just looking to see if anyone else has eard of this, or if there is another chemical to take the place of the glycerine to eliminate the possibility.

Again, Thanks in advance...

Gary

Gary,

I've never heard of it.

On the topic however here's what I figure.

Air is almost 80% Nitrogen (78% actually) and about 20% O2 (21%).

Add to this some arcing from a battery charger lead that is acring due to poor a contact with your anode and you can potentially form NO2 which is the basic molecule for the production of nitric acid (HNO3).

As for the production of nitoglycerin there's more to the formula than just mixing A with B. I won't go into that here. Additionally, considering the minute amount of Glycerin used in the cell and the amount of Nitro formed would be minescule, not to mention the fact that the proper chemical ratios to form the nitro would not realistically exisit in the cell.

I keep my cell covered while it's not in use so it doesn't asorb atomospheric compounds (water, nitrogen, bugs, etc.). I keep my anode connections clean and solid so they don't arc, which reduces the efficiency of the cell thru heat and current losses.

Great post, keep up the good work.

Steve

Steve,

As ridiculous as it sounds this was worth mentioning if only for my peace of mind.

What you have represented, albeit in greater detail, is what I had surmised on my own. Perhaps part of it was looking for confirmation that others utilizing a cell were employing glycerin as well. While I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent, I am not only new to the recovery world but to chemistry also, which provides me with an opportunity to learn something new.

I will be posting some pictures of my process, materials and final rewards as well.

Thanks yet again,

Gary

Gary,

I've said it before and I'll say it again, no ONE person knows everything. By sharing our knowledge and experiences we will all ultimately benefit.

Your previous post was a great point, I had never even considered the possibilty of nitro being formed while working with the cell.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,
Thank you for your concern for our safety (especially the newbies). All new members of the forum should be directed to the Chemical-MSDS links.
Thanks again,

Arthur

a great idea ! i have actually printed copys of msds just to have on hand in case ya never know . i also keep a 20litre pail of water close by as well as a fire extinguisher.
Ian

Buy a binder at WalMart along with some plastic sheet protectors.

Place all of your MSDS's in the sheet protectors and clip them into the binder.

Keep this binder handy in your work area for quick references in case of emergencies.

Steve

Thank's for the reminder Steve. As newbie most ( if not all) the process of refening can be very dangerus.
to all new ppl on the forum i advise to look in the safety topic, as well , it has a lot of very god precautions given by experinced ppl.
this forum has been the quite a found for me, it has absolutly everithing i ever planed to achive, im not a chemist, nor a refiner, this is to start a hobby, and safety is, with out any doubt, the number 1 concern for me.
My best toghts to u all.

Thanks Steve.

The issue of safety and taking precautionary measure can not be stated enough. As a newbie I have tried to be as cautious as possible and yet today I experienced my first slight boil over when adding a little extra subzero to my solution.

I thank you for your concern and your leadership.

Brooks

Thank you Steve. I am a beginner who has learned a lot. But have not actually tried anything yet. I have learned about safety also. I look at the pictures everybody places here of gold they have recovered and I think, 'I sure wish I could do that. ' I have a little amount of gold. But it's not processed yet. I want to be sure of what I am doing first. Like you mentioned , I don't want to lose an eye, poison myself etc. Thank you for the safety tips.

Antonio,

I applaud you on your post, it shows your are not only determined, but cautious.. both are very good qualities to have when refining.

I look forward to seeing your first golden nugget in the gallery section.

Steve

Back