List of Commonly used Chemicals

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One additional item that i use in my cell is Glygerin.

What I use is Glycerin USP (United States Pharmacopeia), as it in contained in a liquid suppository.

Glycerine - C,3H,5(OH),3 (comma indicates subset), aka glycerin and glycerine, and less commonly as propane-1,2,3-triol, 1,2,3-propanetriol, 1,2,3-trihydroxypropane, glyceritol, and glycyl alcohol.

Source - Fleet liquid glycerin suppositories.

Used in reverse electroplating recovery cell as an additive to acid.

Apparently the link is MIA. Keep checking back it may show up or maybe the forum admin may have been forced to delete it .

Steve

Sorry i put the link back.
Ill try and do a update to it tonight.
If you see a chemical not on the list let me know.

Thank you

That link doesn't appear to be working. Where might I find a list of what chemicals are used for what? It's getting confusing remembering what is used for the cells vs what is used for smelting, etc.

Specifically, what is the sodium metabysulfate used for?

Thanks,
Derek

It's used by gold recovery hobbyist to drop dissolved gold powder from solutions (auric chloride). It's also used in winemaking and other applications as well.

Steve

Glycerine will also blaze white hot if you put one drop in a small amount of dry potassium permanganate. It's not as innocuous as it looks. The blaze is as bright as burning thermite, a chemical mix that I played around with in my youth. Thermite or thermate is what they used to cut the beams to bring the WTC down, as fast as a free falling object. Sorry about that but, being a conspiracy buff is the other half of my life.

They say that AR has a limited shelf life. Does anyone know what it's usefull life may be? And if it goes bad, can it be restored with sodium nitrate.

You should make it as needed. It's dangerous to store in a closed container and loses all strength after a short time.

Steve

I have never pre-mixed a batch of aqua regia since learning how to use nitric and hydrochloric (muriatic) individually. With this method, there is never excess nitric. This eliminates several problems, especially the need for getting rid of excess nitric using urea or by boiling the solution down. I end up with less hassle and purer gold. Somewhere on this forum, I posted a method for doing this, in detail. I'll look for the link and will eventually add it to this post.

goldsilverpro said:
Glycerine will also blaze white hot if you put one drop in a small amount of dry potassium permanganate. It's not as innocuous as it looks. The blaze is as bright as burning thermite, a chemical mix that I played around with in my youth. Thermite or thermate is what they used to cut the beams to bring the WTC down, as fast as a free falling object. Sorry about that but, being a conspiracy buff is the other half of my life.

GSB
Mabey they used Glycerine and dry potassium permanganate?
Also, On that subject, all I have to say is "Beans, Rice and Bullets" :)

Back