Sulphuric Acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilld2000

I have at last found somewhere that supplies drain opener in the UK...
96% Sulphiric Acid... :D

My concern is that I do not know exactly what is in the other 4% :(
(Mostly water I expect but I have read on this forum about other impurtities causing problems...buffers?)

I understand I need the H2SO4 for the deplating cell...
Do the impurites matter?

Many thanks for your help

Hilld2K,

The 'buffers' don't seem to cause any problems aside from making the electrolyte darker and causing more foaming than other acids. If your sulfuric acid is golden yellow or clear then you don't have anything to be worried about. Any odd buffers that may end up in your gold powder will be removed when you redissolve the powder in the final purification steps. If you choose not to perform a final redissolve, then be sure you perform several washes of hot HCl and water to remove any remaining base metals.

Remember to use borax in your melting dish as a flux. This flux will help remove the last traces of contamination from your gold. Don't forget to take some pictures of your progress for the forum. We all can earn from one anothers ideas.

Steve

Thank you Lazersteve,

I have just made my first investment in this venture...
1ltr of AmoKleen 'Knock Out'...95%-97% H2SO4...
£4.69 best price I have found so far in the UK by far... Hope this is suitable!

Hilld2k,

Sounds like it will do nicely.

Keep us posted on your progress. :wink:

Steve

I’m new to all of this, but a cheap supply of Sulfuric Acid is any auto parts store. the liquid in car, moter cycle, and lawn tractor batteries is Sulfuric Acid, all you have to do is walk in ask them for it, if they ask what you want it for, tell them you need to refill your car battery that all of the cells are really low, 3/4 of a gallon run me $11.50 hear in Pennsylvania, USA Hope this helps

drnewman65

How to make concentated sulfuric acid from battery acid

http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi//phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=342

:) :) :)

I was having a hard time finding Sulphuric Acid,
Canadian tire- nope
Home Hardware 2 stores- Nope
Walmart- NOPE
Bensens Auto Parts-NOPE!!!!!
Napa Auto Parts.....- YEP!!!

20L of "Battery Acid" $34.00

But I will have to see if I can find out what the % is because the Box doesn't give any information about it.

all it says is how to handle and what to do for first aid.

Is their any easy tests to tell what the % is?

Thanks IN advance

Ian

Hi Ian:

You may want to review the attached post on sulfuric acid.

The NAPA battery acid is 35% H2SO4 and 65% H2O.

After reviewing the post, then you can make it into concentrated H2SO4.

If you want to test the concentration of Sulfuric acid, the best way is to measure the specific gravity of it and do the math. You only need a small test tube that measures one (1) ml fairly accurate and then weigh it on farily accurate gold scales that measure in hundreths of a gram and you can do the math to derive the percent concentation.

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:22 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to make concentated sulfuric acid from battery acid

http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi//phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=342

Catfish

Is their any easy tests to tell what the % is?
Ian, Ant time you want to know the make up of a product for sale, ask for the m.s.d.s sheet on it or look it up on the internet.

thanks for the help :)

After I posted that I started to read the My sulphuric acid thread and came upone the link to the thread about increasing the percentage and how to tell what the % is from the Specific Gravity.

I just foud in small print that the Specific Gravity on my "Batter Acid" is 1.265 at 15.6'C , which is nowhere near the 1.80 I need

Funny thing is I asked the older fellow who worked their if it was just sulphuric acid with no additives and a High percentage and he said it was. lol I guess its a good thing I kept the Reciept. I just don't think I could see myself going out Buying a heat plate, Big Pyrex Bowl, Plastic wash basin, and not only that but the time it would take to boil it down I could use that time for other more pressing matters.

You can purchase Rooto sulfuric drain cleaner at:

http://www.unclejoes.com/.

The cost, per case of twelve 16 oz bottles, is $48 plus shipping. My shipping to portland,OR was $7. You will want Item #374934.

Mike

"Patience Grasshopper, Patience"

Hi Ian welcome.
If you have an Ace hardware nearby they sell concentrated sulfuric acid at a very good price,$12/half gallon....$18/gallon.At least thats what it is in florida.Cant imagine it would be too much different in other places.You can also pick up some sodium bisulphate while your there.Its in the pool chemicals.Decent sized bottle of granules= $3.Good luck and may all your gold be pure.
Johnny in Cocoa

All,

There is a difference between the Sodium Metabisulphate and Sodium Meta Bisulfite. The sulphate will not drop gold, the sulfite will. SMB is Sodium Meta Bisulfite.

Steve

Sorry about that steve.In your video it sounds like you are saying metabisulphate.Maybe its just my computer.I will try to find a local source for it today.
Johnny in Cocoa

Johnny,

I have to admit it does sound that way. I need to spend some time updating the videos. Some of the early ones are poor quality and need to have the updated techniques added to them.

Steve

Back