Hydrchloric Acid - HCL

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilld2000

Hi,

I have solved my Sulphuric Acid supply problem... Now I need to sort out my HCl supply....

I have just taken a gamble and bought 500ml of Max Strength 'Spirits Of Salt' which I believe is 32% HCl....£2.30 best price!

Can anybody confirm whether this is suitable for use?
I am hoping th other 68% is water???

Hilld2k,

Attached is an MSDS which confirms you have the right stuff. Check under the "Other names" heading on the MSDS.

Good work!

Steve

Attachments

• MSDS_HydroChloricAcid32.pdf
    127.5 KB · Views: 67
Thank you again Steve for the confirmation...

I am now hunting the materials I need to construct my first cell as shown in your excellent tutorial...

I will keep you informed and post pictures as it develops if you wish..

I have found a supplier of HCl that willsupply 25 Litres containers for about £22... But it is only 28%???
http://www.wholesalecleaningsupplies.co.uk/popup.cfm?p_n=88474&p_i=88474
Is 28% strong enough for our purposes...

ie. Making AR
Using with H2O2
Using With Chlorex (or equivalent)
as a side issue... would the item shown below work instead of Chlorex?
http://www.wholesalecleaningsupplies.co.uk/popup.cfm?p_n=88319&p_i=88319

HillD2K,

28% Muriatic should work fine.

The bleach substitute you posted should work. The only thing I notice is the yellow color. The Clorox is typically nearly clear. Check the MSDS and confirm there are no additives( fragrances, artificial colors, etc) in the substitute, escpecially since it's being used to clean urinals.

Steve

In the bleach ad, it says the chlorine content is 7.5%. This would make it a little less than 3 times stronger than the Chlorox we are using. You must take that into consideration. It will also be more fumey.

It's hard to believe that standard bleach can't be found in the laundry section of grocery stores in the UK. I thought that this bleach was universal. The stuff in the US is labeled as sodium hypochlorite (NaClO) and the strength is usually labeled somewhere between 5% and 6%. Chlorox is a brand name. Any brand would work.

:roll: Doh, you are almost certainly correct about finding bleach in grocery stores lol.... I seem to have got so wrapped up sourcing chemicals that our Government has decided we are too stupid to handle I seem to have forgot the obvious lol.

Back