Polyfunctional aziridine

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aflacglobal

Now you may find yourself asking what the hell is that. This is a good one for you Chris. It has to do with membranes.

I was reading about cross linking polymers like the type found in some of my commercial coatings. I realized i had a gallon of the catalyst use for the epoxy component. I decided to goggle the msds and see what it was.

Hey, 99.9 % Polyfunctional aziridine. This is a polychelatogen.

The soluble, non-cross linked, hydrophilic polymers with complex-forming moieties, capable to
bind, enrich, and separate metal ions from aqueous solutions, were termed “polychelatogens” [2–4].
A variety of polychelatogens have been prepared and investigated in conjunction with LPR. They
include derivatives of poly(ethylenimine), poly(vinylamine), and polychelatogens based on
polyurethanes, poly(vinyl alcohol), as well as different other copolymers [4,8,10–18]. Poly(ethylenimine)
is one of the binding agents most commonly used and studied in the LPR process
[3,4,7–9,19–21]. This basic polymer was applied to remove heavy metals from industrial wastes and
natural waters.
The selectivity of the polychelatogens can be significantly enhanced by introducing special ligands
[4,7,9,12-16]. The criteria for selecting the appropriate polymeric ligands, the binding conditions,
and several factors influencing the separation of the target metal ions have been studied and discussed

in detail [4,8,10]. Hydroxy-functional polymers based on aziridine such as poly[1-(2-hydroxyethyl)
aziridine] containing hydroxyl groups in the side chain have been shown to be able to bind a number of
metal ions [20].

Redox reactions. In certain cases, redox reactions can be applied, when the metal ions can be
reduced, thus facilitating the subsequent separation step. For example, hexavalent chromium can be
reduced with sodium sulphide to Cr(III), which then precipitates as Cr(OH)3, whereas the polymer
remains in solution.

Now what does this show ? Well I’m not sure yet, But it makes for interesting research being as how i have a gallon of the stuff.

We shall see.

Latest posts

Back