Peroxide/Sodium Percarbonate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe

I am considering alternatives to liquid hydrogen peroxide, such as the oxygen detergents like Oxyclean and Tide with hydrogen peroxide. Most of those types of detergents are sodium perbarbonate treated with peroxide. It seems that if the powdered detergents were added to hydrochloric acid, they would release oxygen. However, because SP is a base (soda ash), it would neutralized the acid. I am not much of a chemist. If someone would give me some feedback, I would appreciate it.

Hi Joe,
I guess I'm curious why you want to eliminate the liquid hydrogen peroxide? Since the common 3 percent product works and is not overly expensive (less than $1 per quart around here at any drug store, Kmart, Walmart, etc.). I'm not sure if it would end up cheaper or not, but you could get a higher percentage peroxide at a beauty supply store and use less of it.

Sodium Percarbonate would be a bad choice. Dissolved in water it releases sodium carbonate along with the hydrogen peroxide. As you correctly assumed it would neutralize the hydrochloric acid releasing carbon dioxide gas and forming sodium chloride (table salt).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_percarbonate

macfixer01

macfixer01 said:
Hi Joe,
I guess I'm curious why you want to eliminate the liquid hydrogen peroxide? Since the common 3 percent product works and is not overly expensive (less than $1 per quart around here at any drug store, Kmart, Walmart, etc.). I'm not sure if it would end up cheaper or not, but you could get a higher percentage peroxide at a beauty supply store and use less of it.

Sodium Percarbonate would be a bad choice. Dissolved in water it releases sodium carbonate along with the hydrogen peroxide. As you correctly assumed it would neutralize the hydrochloric acid releasing carbon dioxide gas and forming sodium chloride (table salt).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_percarbonate

macfixer01

Peroxide is extremely difficult to get hold of in the liquid form in the UK...
Same with Sodium Nitrate!!!
The UK government seem to believe that there is only one use for peroxide... and that use is NOT legal!

Getting my hands on the appropriate chemicals has been the most difficult aspect of this project for me!

Dam, and i thought the U.S. was getting crazy.
Is it really that bad in the U.K.? I've heard other members from the U.K. say about the same.

HillD2k said:
Peroxide is extremely difficult to get hold of in the liquid form in the UK...

You can't find 3% topical antiseptic peroxide in the local pharmacy?

How about the 6-12% variety (Miss Clairol) at the beauty supply house?

Steve

I can't believe peroxide isn't available. Sodium chlorate is cheap in the UK. Too bad we can't trade.

Back