New guy... couldn't find the answer, tried searching

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankq81

Ok... so, I have read and watched videos and figured i would try some of this. It has worked well thus far, did 3 small batches using the AP method producing the copper II choloride, and even used baking soda to neutralize my waste and filtered off the copper after. Though the third batch has some odd orange looking flakes, that when i attempted to use a HCL acid bath, nothing turned green. Not sure what it could be. I have done mainly fingers, and some flat wire ends. i cant take a picture my camera phone. Any thoughts? I did also use some gold plated wires from the spindle arms from scrapped hard drives as well.

Thinking i posted in the wrong part of the forum... probably needs to go to the help needed... thought i selected that. Sorry.

frankq81 said:
Thinking i posted in the wrong part of the forum... probably needs to go to the help needed... thought i selected that. Sorry.

A moderator will move it to the right section.
You didn't mention the amount of material in your small batches, but if it is too small a batch, you may not see the gold. Do you have stannous chloride? Have you read Hoke's book?

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=16555#p167229

Jim

Lets see, fingers off of about 7 ram chips, and 5 slot cards, and again some wire ends... think there were some pins in the last batch. I have a good amount of gold flakes in this filter. Hokes book was mainly for refining, I am still in recovery phase at this moment. No Stannous chloride yet, because not in the refiniment stage still in the recovery phase.

I have a decent amount of flakes, probably maybe i am going to guess at .4 to .5 a gram worth. Just wish I knew wtf these orange bits were...

i like your optimism. too bad though.it takes nearly a quarter of a pound of trimmed fingers to contain 0.5g of gold.

frankq81 said:
Lets see, fingers off of about 7 ram chips, and 5 slot cards, and again some wire ends... think there were some pins in the last batch. I have a good amount of gold flakes in this filter. Hokes book was mainly for refining, I am still in recovery phase at this moment. No Stannous chloride yet, because not in the refiniment stage still in the recovery phase.

I have a decent amount of flakes, probably maybe i am going to guess at .4 to .5 a gram worth. Just wish I knew wtf these orange bits were...

I would say that stannous plays a big part of the recovery stage also.

I think you are working with amounts too small to see any real recovery. And mixing different items usually leads to problems. I would suggest saving up fingers until you get a lb. or two to process, and leave everything else out.

Jim

Still doesn't tell me what those orange metallic bits were. Again... an acid bath didn't turn green meaning it isn't copper...

side note, for the most part this has been a lot of fun, and very exciting even in the small amount I have been working with. I loved chemistry back in high school, but didn't pursue it... kind of regretting it. I whipped out my old text book and a couple others i had bought lol

frankq81 said:
Not a wise decision.

Depending on the procedure you choose to use, you often risk dissolving values along with base metals. It's always a good idea to have the capability to test, to ensure you're not going astray.

In defense of not testing in recovery, so long as one has free base metals present, even if you dissolve some values, given enough time they'll cement and remain behind in the solids. The key, here, is to be able to test to verify that some aren't discarded. An example of that scenario might be when using AR to recover values from materials that are not easily processed by eliminating base metals. Some dental alloys lend themselves well to that process.

Harold

Right... get that, but I am using the AP method, which from everything I read is by far the easiest for a new cover to attempt while also being the safest and most economical.

Not trying anything fancy...

I am noticing that everyone wants to point out what they believe is wrong, but avoiding the question I been asking. I don't mind constructive ideas and what have you... but would like the focus of the question to be what are these little orange looking chips mixed in with my gold foils...

frankq81 said:
Right... get that, but I am using the AP method, which from everything I read is by far the easiest for a new cover to attempt while also being the safest and most economical.

I am noticing that everyone wants to point out what they believe is wrong, but avoiding the question I been asking. I don't mind constructive ideas and what have you... but would like the focus of the question to be what are these little orange looking chips mixed in with my gold foils...

thats depends on what you put in. if its a component, you put them in there. without a picture, its like asking "what color are my eyes" while standing in the dark. since AP will dissolve almost all of the different metals we deal with, if it survived the AP process, i would assume it will survive the hcl/Cl process.
if its not a component but some kind of precipitate, i have no idea. if i had to guess, id say it was the very rare and expensive "orange diamonds" that sometimes are created by dissolving base metal in AP. be sure to have them tested. :wink:

frankq81 said:

I am noticing that everyone wants to point out what they believe is wrong, but avoiding the question I been asking. I don't mind constructive ideas and what have you... but would like the focus of the question to be what the hell are these little orange looking chips mixed in with my gold foils...
If you're noticing that "everyone wants to point out what they believe is wrong", then it's time for you to start paying attention to what you're being told. If you come to this forum with preconceived notions about what you think you want to hear, you're wasting the time of all the readers. We don't sugar coat things here (although we do try to be mannerly). If you don't like the message, pretty good idea to not try to kill the messenger, but to pay attention to what you're being told, instead. Your life, here, will be much smoother.

Said another way, we do things our way here, not your way. This board has enjoyed more than six years of success under the type of direction you see. Readers who are serious about learning like it that way. They get the information they need, even when it's not the information they seek.

Harold

frankq81 said:

I am noticing that everyone wants to point out what they believe is wrong, but avoiding the question I been asking. I don't mind constructive ideas and what have you... but would like the focus of the question to be what the hell are these little orange looking chips mixed in with my gold foils...

What you haven't noticed is that you're receiving information from some highly regarded members. You're doing the equivalent of asking Gandhi about the mud on his feet and he's trying to teach you about life. That you have their attention, and that is wonderful in and of itself, hasn't occurred to you. Probably because you're fairly new. Instead, you're wanting your question answered, thinking that's the information you need, but it's not. What you need are better processes that get you to the point where you are. And that is where all the members are trying to guide you. In that way, you will avoid the need for your question, entirely. As Geo pointed out, no pics is generally a no go. Generally, one of the givens on this site, when asking a question, is to provide specific and accurate information and pictures. It's a really good idea to keep detailed notes as you process.

Also, they are trying to convince you that you need to check for values that might be lost. I wouldn't keep beating that horse, if I were them, you seem to have your mind set, even against the best advice. That you've received so many excellent suggestions already, and not noticed, is truly amazing. You did, afterall, ask for "thoughts."

Something that hasn't been addressed is that you should learn to contain your language, and texting lingo is not acceptable.

Back