How to precipitate Palladium from Cyanide?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lino1406 said:
Order of magnitude: 10% weight

Wasn't quite what I was asking Lino. Given a product with Gold, Silver and Palladium in the plating, what's the preference for Pd in relation to the other metals?

According to Wikipedia, palladium is dissolved by cyanide.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palladium(II)_cyanide
(Ref : doi:10.1021/ic50158a063)

It doesn't say anything about the speed compared to gold or so, but it seems like there doesn't have to be any oxidizer present and it reacts while releasing hydrogen.

Göran

When an oxidizer (O2 or H2O2) is present the reaction is swift, no preference for any metal is observed although theoretically silver is preferable, next palladium, next gold

Lino1406 said:
When an oxidizer (O2 or H2O2) is present the reaction is swift, no preference for any metal is observed although theoretically silver is preferable, next palladium, next gold

OK thanks. What about the effect of concentration of CN- ions?

Unless the palladium is exposed by incineration or crushing there will be very little available for the cyanide to dissolve surely, the source of the palladium the OP is discussing would no doubt be helpful to other members so they can be aware of what to look for to save losing values.

Lino1406 said:
Obvious. Rhetorical question?

No not at all. 8)

Genuine question! As you know ultra low concentrations of CN- make the leach selective for gold, leaving base metals behind. I didn't know whether there was a similarity with Pd.

Or does the same apply? - i.e. low CN- therefore it will take Ag/Au/Pd all at the same rate but leaving the base behind.

Jon

anachronism said:
Lino1406 said:
Pd cyanide sometimes contain ammoniac. Hence needed hood. Al, Zn, Cu will do that

How much Pd does it take up please Lino?

Thanks for answer but i'm looking for a kind of powder percipitant like.. we use Sodium Dithionit for gold.. i want something for palladium.

Thanks.

razvanflorin said:
anachronism said:
Lino1406 said:
Pd cyanide sometimes contain ammoniac. Hence needed hood. Al, Zn, Cu will do that

How much Pd does it take up please Lino?

Thanks for answer but i'm looking for a kind of powder percipitant like.. we use Sodium Dithionit for gold.. i want something for palladium.

Thanks.

Lino answered that - it's even in your quote. 8) 8)

Back