Gold in Copper cathode

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fallonatom

I used to work for a flatbed truck and company. We used to pick up from a copper mine. I picked up some scrap pieces one day because I was told they ship gold out with the copper cathodes. Anyway, here I am a couple years later finally trying to do something with them. I'm using a peroxide acid mixture do dissolve the copper. I can already see gold in the bottom of the jar. Is there any more processes I'll have to do as far as getting the gold separated from the trash. I've done quite a bit of reading on forum and haven't found anything related to copper cathodes and gold.

Welcome to the forum.
Most copper mines also produce as by products gold and silver but it is usually very small percentages compared to the copper and is recovered from the slimes once in the copper refinery so I wouldn’t get too excited at the thought of lots of gold from this copper.
If after using AP to concentrate any gold, be aware this will dissolve gold as well, depending on the particle size left you can use Hcl and bleach to dissolve what’s left.

There seems to be quite a bit of gold in it. After doing my rough calculation on my weight on my truck. I think they would ship about 20 lb of gold out each truckload. But there is lots of gold all the way through them. will I need to dissolve the gold and then bring that back after I do this AP

Back