1T tank size in gallons?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a11051605

So this might be a silly question but for a small leach pilot program with a goal of being able to leach one ton of ore at a time in a tank/vat how big of a tank should I look at? I have heard a good rule of thumb is to also factor your leach solution weight as being approx 1/4th your ore weight, which if true is useful but volume wise what would you guys guess? 200gal tank? Also im going off the old assumption that one ton of rock is roughly equal to a 3x3ft cube.

If you meant 9 cub.ft that is 250 liter. 200 gal = 760 liter. Although that looks enough I would prefer more because leaching can give surprises (In 1 liter experiment I always leave half a liter empty)

I typically use a "fluff" factor of 1.8 tons of "soil" per one yard in volume. However, measuring the density of the milled ore will allow you to estimate the volume of one ton of ore. Check out Deano's posts on leaching ores and use that information to estimate the height of the leachate that your ore should be sitting in, estimate the amount of headspace (maybe 10% of total volume of calculated ore and leachate volume) and leachate collection area (for pumping leachate on top of ore) and you should be close.

1 foot = 0.305 m. -> 3 ft = 0.915 m.

1 ton ore = 0.915 x 0.915 x 0.915 = 0.766 m3, equals by volume to 766 kg. water

What is the density of your leach solution? If it's 1 kg/liter (as water), you have to add 1/4 ton (250 kg). That's 1016 kg. water

1 gallon = 4.54 kg, so the volume you need is 1016 / 4.54 = 223 gallons.

Back