Melting Furnace

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wizzlebiz

Hello. I am at the stage of melt. This will be my 1st attempt. I need some questions answered please.
I purchased this Furnace
Screenshot_20190227-095245_eBay.jpg

1. What kind of prep do I need to do to this crucible?
Screenshot_20190227-095310_eBay.jpg

2. Can I allow the Gold to cool in the crucible instead of pouring to a mold?

3. Any issue with putting a filter with gold in it in here?

Thanks.

Wizzle, I'm afraid those electric melters aren't highly regarded here. A couple of our most experienced members have used them once or twice, then put them on a shelf.

As far as I know, there is no prep to do on the crucibles.

If you let the gold cool inside the crucible, you'll probably have trouble getting it out without damaging the crucible.

You should be able to put your filter paper with gold in it inside the crucible, but since the crucible is covered, it may not ash completely.

The main problem I've heard is that the crucibles deteriorate rapidly, especially at the top, and they're fairly expensive to replace compared to a simple melting dish. But since you already have it, please let us know how it works out for you. We can always use more feedback on equipment like this.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
Wizzle, I'm afraid those electric melters aren't highly regarded here. A couple of our most experienced members have used them once or twice, then put them on a shelf.

As far as I know, there is no prep to do on the crucibles.

If you let the gold cool inside the crucible, you'll probably have trouble getting it out without damaging the crucible.

You should be able to put your filter paper with gold in it inside the crucible, but since the crucible is covered, it may not ash completely.

The main problem I've heard is that the crucibles deteriorate rapidly, especially at the top, and they're fairly expensive to replace compared to a simple melting dish. But since you already have it, please let us know how it works out for you. We can always use more feedback on equipment like this.

Dave
Thank you Dave. Trully appreciate the feed back. I will keep folks posted as I go with the durability factors.

jimdoc said:
"I purchased this Furnace"

That could be your first mistake. You should have asked before that.

It was only $150. Figured its not a huge loss if it sucks.

You could also hand carve a mold in something like a soft fire brick, Sorry the name eludes me at the moment. They are soft enough to carve with a knife. Maybe try carving one in thick sheet rock as well. I know there is another name used in Europe, but again that name won't come to my mind. They may not be perfect but it would have to beat risking destroying a new crucible.

To update. Everything went well tbh. It took the furnace roughly 40 minutes to get to temperature. Had zero issues with allowing gold to cool in crucible then dropping into 50 50 nitric.

As suspected the filter did not ash well. I had a bead at the bottom and alot of black ash. I then used hcl and bleach on the leftover black ash as I suspected there was still gold locked in. And there was. Doing the drop on that now.

All in all I am not upset about the money spent on this device. We will see how many uses I can get out of the crucible and go from there.

Thank you for the advise pre use.

Back