Another First Timer

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I3lackMage

Hello everyone!

So, I am attempting some recovery on RAM pins and cellphone boards, but, I also have a copious amount of gold plated jewelry too.

I have Muriatic Acid, Nitrate of Soda, Bonide Stump Remover, and can purchase any other components that may be needed.

But, where I am stumped is...

How do I make the Nitrate of Soda into Nitric Acid - I see a ton of conflicting methods and I don't want to jump at the first method I see.

Is nitric acid the best method for separating the base metals from the gold?

After separating from the base metals, how would I go about making poor mans aqua regia?

And I assume that the Stump Remover is sodium metabisulfite, correct? This would be how I precipitate the gold once finished, right?

I am but a newb, please have mercy on me. =3

Welcome to the forum I3lackMage.

Why do you think you need nitric or aqua regia at this point?

We can discuss how to make many of the reagents used in the recovery and refining of the precious metals including nitric acid and aqua regia, but at this point even with these chemicals at this point, you would be lost as far as how to recover and refine gold using these acids.

You would be putting yourself and others in danger because of ignorance of the dangers involved.

With the scrap materials, you have collected up to this point you could easily recover and refine the gold without the use of nitric acid or aqua regia.

In fact, Nitric acid would be my last choice of chemicals or processes that I would choose to use to recover gold from the materials you stated above, and aqua regia would not be my choice for refining the gold.

I would like to help you get started in this field, my suggestion is to put the chemicals on the shelf.

First, we need to educate ourselves, the best place I feel is with learning to deal with the toxic waste, deadly gases, and many dangers you are not aware of at this point.gaining an understanding of the metals and different processes used to separate them and deal with their dangerous salts...

butcher said:
Welcome to the forum I3lackMage.

Why do you think you need nitric or aqua regia at this point?

We can discuss how to make many of the reagents used in the recovery and refining of the precious metals including nitric acid and aqua regia, but at this point even with these chemicals at this point, you would be lost as far as how to recover and refine gold using these acids.

You would be putting yourself and others in danger because of ignorance of the dangers involved.

With the scrap materials, you have collected up to this point you could easily recover and refine the gold without the use of nitric acid or aqua regia.

In fact, Nitric acid would be my last choice of chemicals or processes that I would choose to use to recover gold from the materials you stated above, and aqua regia would not be my choice for refining the gold.

I would like to help you get started in this field, my suggestion is to put the chemicals on the shelf.

First, we need to educate ourselves, the best place I feel is with learning to deal with the toxic waste, deadly gases, and many dangers you are not aware of at this point.gaining an understanding of the metals and different processes used to separate them and deal with their dangerous salts...

Serious, the best answer I could think of :!:

I3lackMage said:
Hello everyone!

So, I am attempting some recovery on RAM pins and cellphone boards, but, I also have a copious amount of gold plated jewelry too.

I have Muriatic Acid, Nitrate of Soda, Bonide Stump Remover, and can purchase any other components that may be needed.

But, where I am stumped is...

How do I make the Nitrate of Soda into Nitric Acid - I see a ton of conflicting methods and I don't want to jump at the first method I see.

Is nitric acid the best method for separating the base metals from the gold?

After separating from the base metals, how would I go about making poor mans aqua regia?

And I assume that the Stump Remover is sodium metabisulfite, correct? This would be how I precipitate the gold once finished, right?

I am but a newb, please have mercy on me. =3

Don't know about Jewelry but nitric acid is not so great for RAM or e-scrap in general, in my view "AP method" works much better - look it up on forum, you`ll learn a great deal :)

Also be prepared for how small the actual content of gold there is - you'd need at least 200-300 g of clean-cut RAM fingers to get any feasible amount (~1g) of it and reliably observe what's going on... and much much more (few kg) of cellphone boards

I normally like to make my Nitric acid using a distillation process, where the Nitric acid and beautiful copper sulfate crystals are the remaining byproducts of the reaction, what would normally be considered as a waste product of a chemical reaction of removing gold plating from copper base metal pins, recovering the gold as foils in the recovery process.

butcher said:
I normally like to make my Nitric acid using a distillation process, where the Nitric acid and beautiful copper sulfate crystals are the remaining byproducts of the reaction, what would normally be considered as a waste product of a chemical reaction of removing gold plating from copper base metal pins, recovering the gold as foils in the recovery process.
Is this process used to process the AP solution? What do you do with the copper sulfate crystal? Could they be used to make electrolyte for a copper cell?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Sure, The copper sulfate byproduct can be used for recovery of silver plate from electric bus bars, or for recovery or even refining of copper with electrolysis, basically, anywhere you can use a pure copper sulfate crystals.

Ok thanks. I get the copper sulfate part. I do not quite understand the production of nitric acid from the AP solution. How is this achieved?

What you call AP, I assume you are referring an abbreviation of what some call acid peroxide which is a terrible name for the cupric chloride etching, or a copper II Chloride leaching process.

I never mentioned making nitric acid from a chloride process, although we can if we adjusted the chemical reaction.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6199&hilit=killing+two+birds+one+stone

Thanks for the reply, the link and the education. I appreciate it.

Back