Unknow (for me) material

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahmadbayoumi

Hello ALL,

Have any one come across this type of material before ? What are these ?

I need to know how to process them and how much gold should I expect out of them

aaa.jpg

High power RF transistors made by infineon for usage in cellular stations. Never processed any myself.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/0/8/0/9/08090.shtml

Göran

Beryllium oxide warning insert it here before you go breakin that stuff open

Just do them directly in hot ar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snoman701 said:

Nope sorry but that's wrong old mate.

Drop the white off with a hammer and a face mask first otherwise you won't get to the goodness underneath.

Common sense needs to be applies here. Don't make dust and mitigate it. The results are very nice but find a leaching process rather than dissolving all the base metals.

Jon

anachronism said:
snoman701 said:

Nope sorry but that's wrong old mate.

Drop the white off with a hammer and a face mask first otherwise you won't get to the goodness underneath.

Common sense needs to be applies here. Don't make dust and mitigate it. The results are very nice but find a leaching process rather than dissolving all the base metals.

Jon

You’ve surely done more than I have.

Mine just go in the misc lot bin that I do every year or so.

HAH...that pot has been raided...but the bills are paid and I just ate a pretzel!

I no longer get excited about every glitz and glimmer...I now turn it in to hazardous waste and a paycheck.

And it never goes far enough to eat anything more than the generic pretzels once I'm done refilling the pots.

so should I remove the white cap 1st before processing as in the below pic ?

crop.jpg

then if I removed the white cap should I go for AR directly or what ?

Also, how to avoid the hazard associated with the Beryllium oxide (BO) ?

Personally I would go for a leach rather than dissolving it all in AR but it depends upon what facilities and chemicals you have available.

Edit for spelling.

Beryllium is dissolved by (hot) acids, HCl, H2SO4, gold not. Hence A/P seems the solution, where the initial attack is on gold, but turns to the base metal after it is exposed, leaving the gold hopefully as foils.

I checked the data sheets for the part I linked to, and nowhere were beryllium oxide mentioned. It usually are if the case is made from beryllium oxide.

White ceramics are most often alumina substrate, but there are beryllium oxide components out there and they are white.

Lino, how acid resistant is beryllium oxide ceramics (not beryllium metal)?
... found this on wikipedia... "Beryllium oxide formed at high temperatures (>800 °C) is inert, but dissolves easily in hot aqueous ammonium bifluoride (NH4HF2) or a solution of hot concentrated sulfuric acid (H2SO4) and ammonium sulfate ((NH4)2SO4)."
Doesn't say anything about nitric acid or even aqua regia, do you know?

It should be possible to feel the difference between beryllia and alumina just from the thermal conductivity, like the difference of picking up a piece of metal compared to ceramic. Metals often feels cold as it is a good heat conductor.

Beryllium and beryllia both accumulate in the body and can give health issues years from the exposure, so when in doubt be safe and treat it as if it is the nasty stuff. Avoid dust exposure or aerosols.

Göran

Lino1406 said:
Beryllium is readily dissolved in AR, BeO as well. To my knowledge it is frequently mixed with copper

It certainly is. Beryllium copper is a high waste stream.

Many thanks for your feedback :)

But still not sure how I can process such type of material

anachronism said:
Personally I would go for a leach rather than dissolving it all in AR but it depends upon what facilities and chemicals you have available.

Edit for spelling.

Ok great .. what leach method is preferred with this .. personally I tired diluted HNO3 with one of these power RF transistors but it didn't work ..seems it's not just copper there as I got a white mud with the foils (not tin)

Also, should I remove the while cap 1st ? and how I can do this while avoiding Beryllium/BeO ?

Does any one have an estimate for the yield of these kind of material and does it worth ?

ahmadbayoumi said:
Many thanks for your feedback :)

But still not sure how I can process such type of material

anachronism said:

Edit for spelling.

Ok great .. what leach method is preferred with this .. personally I tired diluted HNO3 with one of these power RF transistors but it didn't work ..seems it's not just copper there as I got a white mud with the foils (not tin)

Using Nitric like this is a dissolve not a leach. Although personally if you have done this I would decant the liquor and retain the powder and foils and add HCL to make AR and dissolve the gold, denox, filter and drop. Leaches that would be applicable are Iodine/Iodide (relatively expensive and you need a good understanding) or Cyanide (which respectfully I don't think you are ready for.)

Also, should I remove the while cap 1st ? and how I can do this while avoiding Beryllium/BeO ?

As mentioned by Goran it it entirely possible that it isn't BeO but my comments about removing them still apply.

Does any one have an estimate for the yield of these kind of material and does it worth ?

Yes it's worth it. I recommend you do your own assay based upon keeping notes of your results.

Answers above.

Jon

Many thanks for your usual support in this great forum :)

However, as all the mentioned leaching methods are not suitable for me, I just tried to use the sulfuric gold stripping cell .. it's working great with the body of these things but the golden wires inside at the core haven;t been touched and they are still their.

So should I try to remove this inner part completely and dissolve it or what ?

Thanks to give me the advise here.

Also, haven't got any estimation about the yield/kg for this kind of material.

It's very high in price here (around 300$/Kg).

If you're paying $300 per Kg for this material then I would suggest that you move onto something else.

Back