Magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) Silver Experiment

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to get off-topic: I love this dialect!! It is clear and slow. And the way he says "bowl" and "solution" and this intonation! Love it, could listen for hours! :D

Is it you in this video, palladium?

solar_plasma said:
Sorry to get off-topic: I love this dialect!! It is clear and slow. And the way he says "bowl" and "solution" and this intonation! Love it, could listen for hours! :D

Is it you in this video, palladium?

Yes that is him.

In silver refining (Electrolytic) one of the problems is keeping fresh solution at the cathode surface where we have to use some type of physical ( mechanical ) movement to keep fresh ions at the cathode surface. I think with this technology i can build a silver cell that is more efficient and simpler in design. From what I've read the kinetics of this type of anode increases efficiency to almost 100% verses common electrolysis methods as well as leads to tighter and faster crystal formation, lower cell voltage with higher amperage input, and overall lower operating temperatures. Plus it's just neat as heck! I not only see it for end refining, but also good for recovery from solutions such as sodium thio where you can have sulfur deposits that co mingle with recovery. I can see applications all across the board for this type of technology if i can get it to work. I've even got a theory for a self cleaning anode!

Here is a good example of the kinetics at work.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imktKUYIOjw[/youtube]

Palladium said:
In silver refining (Electrolytic) one of the problems is keeping fresh solution at the cathode surface where we have to use some type of physical ( mechanical ) movement to keep fresh ions at the cathode surface. I think with this technology i can build a silver cell that is more efficient and simpler in design. From what I've read the kinetics of this type of anode increases efficiency to almost 100% verses common electrolysis methods as well as leads to tighter and faster crystal formation, lower cell voltage with higher amperage input, and overall lower operating temperatures. Plus it's just neat as heck! I not only see it for end refining, but also good for recovery from solutions such as sodium thio where you can have sulfur deposits that co mingle with recovery. I can see applications all across the board for this type of technology if i can get it to work. I've even got a theory for a self cleaning anode!

Hi Palladium,
I watched your video showing the MHD effect. The electrolyte does appear to turn clockwise on the outside. You might find that the inner area around the anode may actually turn counter clockwise.

As shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swrK1qJHUYg

With your magnets on the edge of the bowl, how exactly have you arranged them magnetically? For instance: all north, all south or alternating? You might find a different crystal growth for the different polarity of the magnets? You might try putting north magnets on one side and south on the opposite side of the bowl. This may increase the rotational speed of the electrolyte almost like a DC motor?

I have a tiny silver cell going now to experiment with this a little too. I can see a slight clockwise movement with a single neo magnet.

MHD’s is quite a science and goes deeper than you might first think. For example the clouds on planets like Saturn, driven by what are called Birkeland currents exhibit this kind of rotational and counter-rotational effects.

Good luck with your refining experiments utilizing the MHD principals. You might be onto something with this...

Hey Lou i tried sending you a pm, but it keeps saying user not defined!
It was a good video!

Back