Silver chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylerplyler

A friend of mine gave me some dry silver chloride, any idea on how to turn it back to metal? I though about trying to just smelt it, but been reading different things. I seen a video on adding lye and karo to it. I really don't want to mess it up.

And here is the result. Holes are from evolving gases, O2, CO2

Attachments

• silver from chloride.jpg
    silver from chloride.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 775
Molten silver can absorb more than its volume of oxygen when it is molten and it spits it all out when it cools. That is why it has all of the holes.

Because this was dry silver chloride adding the carbonate and grinding it fine so there was good contact between the silver chloride and the carbonate the molten silver will absorb all of the gasses and there is not much you can do to stop it.

What you can do, is remelt the silver and prevent the silver from exposure to oxygen while it is in the furnace and while it is poured into the mold. This is usually done by using a flame over the furnace to burn the oxygen over the crucible holding the molten silver so it is not available to the molten silver to be absorbed. Additionally pouring through a flame into your mold further eliminates the potential for any oxygen to be absorbed, once the bar skims over solidifying, the flame can be shut off. The flame is not hot enough to prevent the silver from solidifying. If the silver cannot absorb any oxygen it has none to spit and the bars are much nicer.

I've adopted that very technique when pouring molten silver into an ingot mold. I still can't seem to get a flat pour on the bottom (when the molten silver first hits the bottom of the mold) and there's always uneven spots. They just appear as round indents and/or pot marks where the silver didn't fully fill in. Is there a technique to remedy this issue?

Attachments

• 1492280205845.jpg
    1492280205845.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 645
DylanDownright84 said:
I've adopted that very technique when pouring molten silver into an ingot mold. I still can't seem to get a flat pour on the bottom (when the molten silver first hits the bottom of the mold) and there's always uneven spots. They just appear as round indents and/or pot marks where the silver didn't fully fill in. Is there a technique to remedy this issue?

Do you heat the mold? And how do you pour it?

And, do you want to sell your silver bars? If so, send me a PM

Hey Topher! I haven't forgotten about your pm sir.
I'm just busy as a long tail cat in a rock chair convention right now!

Palladium said:
Hey Topher! I haven't forgotten about your pm sir.
I'm just busy as a long tail cat in a rock chair convention right now!
No worries, get ahold of me whenever is convenient for you. If it's late, you can still call or text. I just got the silver cornflaked yesterday, and in the cell this morning, so I am a bit behind myself. Not enough hours in the day, eh? :D

But I really would like to buy his pretty silver ingot, void spaces or not! :mrgreen: 0415170928.jpg

I keep the flame on the silver as I pour it, but haven't tried heating the mold. I could set up my propane torch and have it heating the mold while I'm melting the silver. Would that work? And sorry, I don't sell my bars, not yet at least; ). I'm still learning my craft and technique and ive only made a handful of them.

Attachments

• 20170409_012704.jpg
    20170409_012704.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 598
I know this post is a little old but figured I'd offer. Though I have never done this, I have been working on the research of it along with a great deal of many things. Take this link with a grain of salt unless some of the more experienced pros actually indicate a particular practice that works. I'm thinking that heating the mold to a temp 200-400 degrees higher than the silver as one person indicates may be in the right direction in which to go. But some say (Hauser and miller) that As a rule, the mold should be 800 °F to 1000 °F below the melting point of the metal at the time of casting. So I'm not that sure. All in all here is a link of some jewelers discussing the very same matter of pouring silver into molds and having it not come out just quite as they expected. I myself wonder if during pouring, if an inert gas such as argon was lightly wisped across the mold if this might help to displace the oxygen enough get a better looking product. Then again not knowing the process to a full extent, I may well be talking out my....well you know. :p Here's the link:https://orchid.ganoksin.com/t/mold-casting-of-silver/4371/16
Here is also the url for Hauser and miller http://www.hauserandmiller.com/reference/casting.html

The oxygen is already adsorbed (absorbed? -semantics) at the time of the pour... silver, when molten, picks up lots and lots of oxygen, it only becomes immiscible upon solidification. The inert atmosphere would therefor need to be present during the melt. Having it over the pour would do nothing to prevent its initial mixing with the metal.

There are lots of other ways to skin that cat though. Many of them are much simpler and cheaper than rigging that kind of set up.

Just putting a graphite crucible over the melt or stirring it with a graphite rod helps.

In industrial practice, the silver can run through a rich flame.

I use 2 torches, one setup to keep the mold under flame both preheats the mold and burns up the O2 during the pour. The second torch that does the melt I keep on the melt during the pour, both to keep it hot and rob the O2 from it. Makes pretty bars.

Might not work well for large pours, but you big timers have already figured it out for your setup.

Topher_osAUrus said:
The oxygen is already adsorbed (absorbed? -semantics) at the time of the pour... silver, when molten, picks up lots and lots of oxygen, it only becomes immiscible upon solidification. The inert atmosphere would therefor need to be present during the melt. Having it over the pour would do nothing to prevent its initial mixing with the metal.

There are lots of other ways to skin that cat though. Many of them are much simpler and cheaper than rigging that kind of set up.
As I understand it, adsorbed is on the surface on a substance. Absorbed is trough the bulk of the substance (liquid or solid).

So in this case it definitely is absorbed.

Göran

Hi
I try to reduce some silver chloride to silver metal
I add some battery acid and some nails. Some chlorides reduce to metal.
I add some more nails and then I get a green solution
Before I tried this method without any problem.

1- My silver chlorides will reduce?
2- Why I get this green solution? Excess sulfuric or nitric?
Thanks
http://uupload.ir/files/3sm9_img_20180831_205548.jpg

After some washing I had approximately clear solution
But when I add some water again to silver powders I get some brown solution and green sludge on the silver powders!
What are these?

http://uupload.ir/files/byp_img_20180906_185710.jpg

http://uupload.ir/files/a6e_img_20180905_133727.jpg

I think they are iron hydroxide. Do I must wash silver powder in Filter or in bucket ?
(I washed them in bucket several times)

Back