The removal of the silver coating by electrolysis in a solution of sodium sulfite (Na2so3)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ION 47

Hi friends! Not seen on the forum a method of removing silver plating from parts in a solution of sulphite of sodium by electrolysis. Maybe I looked bad? Have experience and are happy to share them. The method is simple and harmless, you can work indoors. The Na2SO3 solution (20-80 g/liter) is placed in a stainless steel cathode and an anode basket of titanium mesh. The anode basket is filled with details (for example, PIN connectors with silver coating). Connect a voltage of 1.5-2.5 volts. Silver is selectively deposited on the cathode in the form of a fine powder. I've learned so silver from radio-frequency coaxial cable, etoniah and copper housings of electronic modules, with detachable connectors.

There is very little silver in the solution. Silver is deposited as a sludge on the stainless steel cathode.
I added a small amount of HCl as a test. Only got a slight hazy precipitation. Not worth special treatment.
Just add to my waste acids a little at a time for disposal.

Back