Shiny silver in precipitate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danake

Hello! Was hoping someone here may have some insight into this. I've processed a bunch a silver before but this time a bunch of shiny silver flakes appeared after filtering and cementing with copper.

The source material was all marked 925 sterling. The solution was also fully filtered off before cementing. In the attached picture you can see the difference (at the very bottom is some from a previous recovery to show the difference)

Thanks!

IMG_0302.jpeg

If it was jewelley it’s possible it was rhodium plated which metal really doesn’t want to dissolve.

I've seen silver cement out as crystals before. I never explored the conditions that caused it. Perhaps pH, free nitric level, temperature, silver concentration, or other variables.

Keep in mind that just because something is stamped 925, there is no guarantee it is, in particular with jewelry. Anyone with $10.00 can buy a 925 stamp and use it on anything they want. I've seen enough of it that I don't trust stamps on jewelry. Stamped flatware is much more likely to be correct.

Dave

nickvc said:
If it was jewelley it’s possible it was rhodium plated which metal really doesn’t want to dissolve.

I thought so too at first but it dissolved so I ruled that out. Only after I cemented it showed up.

I've seen silver cement out as crystals before. I never explored the conditions that caused it. Perhaps pH, free nitric level, temperature, silver concentration, or other variables.

Keep in mind that just because something is stamped 925, there is no guarantee it is, in particular with jewelry. Anyone with $10.00 can buy a 925 stamp and use it on anything they want. I've seen enough of it that I don't trust stamps on jewelry. Stamped flatware is much more likely to be correct.

Yeah true. I did notice the shinier stuff tended to float more. I melted it down again and going to run it through to see if it still appears.

Back