DBG Questions

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmiller

Hi all!

I have 4 grams of gold precipitated from AR that I was unable to get to come clean after repeated rinses in hot HCL and hot water. So I decided to process the 4 grams in HCL-CC to see if I could get it to come clean. I have been looking for an excuse to try the BDG process and this looked like a good one. I processed it according to the tutorial prepared by Noxx.

http://goldrefining.110mb.com/Tutorials/BDG%20refining.htm

Everything went just fine until I got to step 7. I am attempting to filter thru 4 coffee filters followed by a "Charmin" plug as described by "Lasersteve" on his DVD. The solution does not seem to go thru the coffee filters. If I carefully pick up the coffee filters, be careful to not spill or lose any of the solution, drops of the solution filter out slowly. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, in step 4 the lower layer that is funneled of is what and can it be reused?

Thanks all, you are all great!!

Gary

Are you using the coffee filters and plug in tandem in the same funnel? If so your plug is likely packed too tight. As shown on the DVD the plug should allow 2-3 drops of water to pass through it as a test after it is initially packed and saturated with water. If the drops flow too fast, pack the plug tighter; too slow and the plug should be repacked looser. Once the plug test correctly with water then move on to filtering the dirty solution with the plug.

If your solution is very dirty the plug will quickly clog. Separately prefiltering the solution to remove the coarse debris can prevent quick clogs due to large debris. Clogging caused by fine particles can be filtered quicker by adding a vaccum assist to the funnel with the plug in it's neck.

Incinerating solids before dissolving can prevent many filtration issues also.

Steve

For step 7

You don't need to filter.
Pour the BDG + water to the sep funnel.
Then wash the gold with water several times to remove all of the BDG and add to the sep funnel.

then seperate the layers and reuse the BDG.

Filtering should be done prior to adding any DBC to the pregnant solution regardless of which filtration method you choose.

Steve

Hi all,

Yes. I am using the filters in tandem. I checked the plug with water prior to adding my solution. I am using a funnel from a "Home Brewing Supply" that has a removable screen just before the small funnel neck. This provides support to the coffee filters with about 3 inches of separation between the coffee filters and the plug.

I'm going to move to my vacuum filter, but I can't use a plug in it, as the small part is only about 3/8" in diameter. There was no course debris in my AuCl prior to adding my BDG, but I will filter it just the same in the future.

I really like this BDG process if I can just get my gold filtered out in step 7.

Also, my gold did not drop as "beautiful gold flakes" but as light rust colored powdery nodules, with no visable powder.

Thanks,

Gary

gmiller said:
Also, my gold did not drop as "beautiful gold flakes" but as light rust colored powdery nodules, with no visable powder.
That's perfectly normal. It doesn't precipitate as you described, because it's an accumulation of fine particles, not a sheet. It reflects light in all directions, thus the lack of luster and the altered color appearance.

To your credit--that it agglomerated as nodules can be a sign of quite pure gold. When it comes down from dirty solutions, it's often very finely divided and often won't agglomerate well, even after being given a good chemical wash.

Harold

Thank to all that responded to my questions.

Thank to all that responded to my questions.

Yesterday was the first day of regular firearms deer hunting here in PA so I spent sunup to sunset in the rain in pursuit of that endeavor. I did finally get back to the filter today and it was dry. The "Charmin Plug" has very little on it. Thank you all so much.

Does anyone know the answer to my 2nd question?

In step 4 the lower layer that is funneled off, what is it and can it be reused?

On to the next batch
I have 37 grams of foils and soldier mask to process next using BDG and AP (no concerns about excess nitric to neutralize and no excess chlorine).

Also, a special thanks to Harold_V:

I remembered having previously read about that the “agglomeration as nodules” was a sign of very pure gold in another post, but mentioned it because it did not agree with the description in the tutorial, and I was a little concerned I might have done something wrong.

Gary
"May your flask always be filled with nodules"

The lower layer is the 'aqueous phase' and contains an acidic solution with your trash metals in it if everything was done right. Test with stannous to be sure it's barren and if so properly dispose of it.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

One more question:

In step 2 of the tutorial it says to "shake vigourously for 5 minutes or more." My question is:

Does it make a differance if I shake or stir?

Thanks

Gary

gmiller said:
Thanks Steve,

One more question:

In step 2 of the tutorial it says to "shake vigourously for 5 minutes or more." My question is:

Does it make a differance if I shake or stir?

Gary,

As long as you get good mixing of the upper and lower layers you should be fine. Simply stirring the upper layer is not enough, you'll need to throughly mix the upper and lower layers.

Steve

Back