Reverse Electroplating Question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been looking at the forum for a few days now and im curious as to using the reverse electroplating process to refine scrap gold jewelry that may contain silver and or platinum. will the silver/platinum drop as brown specks to the bottom during the process or stay in the solution? I'm assuming it would dissolve though. Also im fuzzy on dropping gold out of the mixture with silver in it, or however you would do it.im sure there is a relatively simple way to get all of your metals separated though, i just havent discovered it yet. any links or advice/guidance would well be appreciated! i'm still learning a lot so please dont presume i know too much. most of what i've read is lazersteve's threads and i have seen his videos.

one last thing, please dont use too many abbreviations for chemicals as i'm still learning them all! haha

are you working with gold plated jewelry? if you are working with karat gold, a stripping cell will not work for this.

well i'll be working with both surely, but i suppose there's an answer to a big question right there. what is a tried and true method for refining karat gold for a beginner like me? also if the jewelry is made of silver but gold plated, how would that work out in a stripping cell?

you can use the cell to strip gold plating from silver.

your other question, the one about refining karat gold. well, you couldnt throw a rock at the forum blindfolded without hitting something about that, so just read through the post and you will find plenty of info on that . but i can give you a small bit of information that will help you out, http://tinyurl.com/mfnyhs

download and read, several times.

thank you. and yes i've started reading posts and seen some videos, and the book looks great, definitely going to read that. i'm sure i'll have questions later on though! but for now im set and appreciate that there is a community like this that is devoted to help newcomers like me start in something like this. most of the books i've found either are too technical or barely scratch the surface of refining.

Welcome to the forum Garrett,

The Guided Tour is a great spot to start your reading on recovery and refining.

If you are a visual learner check out my Testing and Refining Karat Gold DVD. You can buy it from my web store (link below). My main site has many videos and sneak peaks of some of the DVD footage.

Take your time and do your homework before jumping in head first.

Steve

Latest posts

Back