Education

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overdriv

My question is this. Where can you get an education (hands on) about refining? I took courses at GIA about gemstones and the jewelry industry and graduated as a GG. But when I talked to IMPI and other knowledgeable people (who the kind people at IMPI) referred to me. They said there is no where to take classes in refining. Wouldn't it be great if we held a small convention and taught some courses. LaserSteve's tutorials and DVD's are fantastic. Harold's advise is priceless as is all the other commenters on this forum. But wouldn't it be great to get together on a yearly basis somewhere. Maybe at the gem show in the southwest.

my concern would be this: without the resource of the forum available at their fingertips, any "one time" convention would cause a rash of would be refiners running out and poisoning themselves or their family or family pet. if they come seeking knowledge, all the safety issues and processes has been laid out in somewhat easy steps. it would take a long time and many courses of study and become very costly, very quickly to acquire the amount of knowledge that's offered here for free.

Knowledge is power. You are right that probably there might be a rush of new converts and many misadventures. There is the IMPI, and probably that is where I should graduate to. I like the forums self teaching aspect. I have been self taught in other areas of my life, and am very comfortable doing this. But after going to conventions and learning from others at the convention I find that very informative and invaluable. IMPI is probably the answer I am seeking.

Also Geo, if you are worried about poisoning yourself and your family, I would gladly share with you my designs for a scrubber. I really built too big of a scrubber, but it is working fine. The lab hood is excellent and is impervious to all acids. I can be within one foot of the reaction of AR and watch the reaction (through 1/2 inch glass window) and not be affected. I live in a cold climate and it is imperative to master this. I hope you do not poison yourself or your family.

Latest posts

Back