Cutting fingers off finger boards

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IT Ecycler

Hello everybody,

I am new here, not sure where to post, this looks like a good place to start.
I have been collecting and recycling computers for about two years now and have a huge supply of
fingerboards, motherboards, memory, CPU's, palladium, gold pins and tons of other stuff I been making a good living selling all the low
grade metals from recycling the computers and keeping all the other items until I felt I had enough to process.

I placed ads on criaigslist for lab supplies and I got lots of things from people wanting to get rid
of all kinds of high quality beakers flasks and other glassware. I also been getting Pyrex pie plates and baking dishes from yard sales
for processing Mylar from keyboards.

I have spent a couple hours removing fingerboard gold first I used the vice and just broke them off this worked fairly well but the jaws are
chipped and the break was ragged and left some gold at times.
Then I used tin snips this works well except your hand becomes very sore after a while.
Next I am going to get a metal cutting blade for my band saw and try that.

Has anybody found a easy fast was to remove the fingers from the boards?

I use a 2 inch chisel for pin removal and it is fast.

Let me know
have a great day
John

John,
Welcome to the forum.
Your methods sound like many the others here use, some also use shears or paper style cutters, to cut the memory fingers from memory, these guy's have posted many Ideas, and I am sure after you read some you also will get some ideas for better methods.

Have you seen Lazersteve's web site, (find a post by Him a link in his signature line under his post), he has a lot on great information there, and when you visit try a search on the search engine on his web site for this forum (it actually works better than the one on the forum), He also had a video if I remember correctly on how he removes the values from some of the materials, you may find something there you have not thought of.

What is neat about searching for and reading your question, is that you also find tons of information you would not otherwise find if someone just gave you one simple answer to your question, sorry I was not able to answer your question, but I do hope my answer to your post leads you to many answers.

Right after I posted I found the info on the paper cutter
I was thinking about that before I found this place, but
was not sure if it would work guess it works.

After reading for a while I have a small fortune
in scrap collected.

I have had to clean my shop out for other projects and I just
set back the collections of precious metal bearing scrap.

I have no idea how much I have and the business has been going like gang busters
people dropping computers off everyday for recycle.

Another way I have been making money is by charging to destroy hard drives
it is a pretty steady flow of cash.

Back