A little confused on silver

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all, ive run several batches of gold and i cannot ignore it any longer... i need to get the silver out of my leftover blue solutions/
I'm talking about the solution leftover after digesting the base metals out of inquarted jewelry with nitric acid. I bought lazer steve's dvd on silver refining but alas it was not in there. I'm sure the are threads on how to do this but i have not been able to find them :x
so if anyone could point me to the treat or website/tutorial i would be very grateful. i've got alot more gold to process but i need some silver to inquart it with! haha

add Cu if is it their it will cement.

If you have more silver to refine add it to it and heat so you don't waist nitric. Filter and then add Cu bar or sheet not wire.

Eric

garrettguy1223 said:
but won't that result in contaminated silver? and do i need to heat it or anything?

Yes it will be contaminated (99.5% silver) but if you are going to use it for inquarting the contaminants will not matter.

garrett,

You're right, and hopefully your silver will be contaminated. In part by a small amount of copper, but more importantly by any other precious metals that were in your original gold that hitched a ride with your silver when you digested your inquarted material.

I would cement the silver with copper. That will also drop any other precious metals in your solution. Melt into an anode and part it in a silver cell. Your precious metals will be in your slimes. :lol:

Just my newb opinion.
Dave

i'm doing it right now and its pretty cool. and yes i suppose it IS a good thing for my silver to be contaminated! a very good point to say the least.
anyhow thank you guys things are back on track now 8)

garrettguy1223 said:
Hello all, ive run several batches of gold and i cannot ignore it any longer... i need to get the silver out of my leftover blue solutions/
I'm talking about the solution leftover after digesting the base metals out of inquarted jewelry with nitric acid. I bought lazer steve's dvd on silver refining but alas it was not in there. I'm sure the are threads on how to do this but i have not been able to find them :x
so if anyone could point me to the treat or website/tutorial i would be very grateful. i've got alot more gold to process but i need some silver to inquart it with! haha

The Silver DVD demonstrates several ways to get silver out of nitrate solutions notably via:

Electrolysis, Silver chloride, and Copper Cementation.

Check the Cell Clean up Chapter on the DVD.

Steve

Is there always silver in gold filled? I digested 70g of 1/10th 12k in nitric. After filtering I had a beautiful clear blue solution, but when I added a copper sheet...no cement!

Silver is more commonly found in GF jewelry and FOB chains than in GF glasses frames or old pocket watches.

There are exceptions to every rule so testing is the only way to truely know.

Steve

Back