needing some advice for best efficiency

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have been saving up mother boards, cell phones, gold plated jewelry, gold filled wire(1/20 &1/10) and other sources of gold plated and/or plated items and am trying to find the best way to process on a very limited income. i am disabled and not physically able to do alot of strenuous labor, so a little at a time i clip off gold fingers when possible or clip non pm bearing components and plastics and such to keep board cleaned off as possible. i am aware of the hidden PM's in the chips and most components. i have tried the aqua-fortis method with what i would call decent success, but not convinced that im getting the best and efficient yield. in have read countless posts on best refining method and most cost efficient. it seems that using the AF process that to much copper is getting through and can only get at best up to 8karat yeild. i know im missing something in the process. plus there just seems to be a lot of waste in the AF method, some i keep and dilute to use on wood working project to produce simulated aging patina, the rest i neutralized and dispose of in the local EPA required manner. so is the aqua-regia process more efficient with less waste, better yeild and less hazard. and if so where can i find complete poor mans guide with all info to do the start to finish??? except the smelting and ingot process (i've made jewelry for years and have casting equipment).

the process you have been using is better for gold filled but not so good for Escrap and gold plate. nitric acid has a place for gold plate but a better method is the sulfuric stripping cell. as far as Escrap, the acid peroxide method of removing base metal is best. there is two separate processes to getting cleaner gold, recovery and refining. the process you have been using is just dissolution of base metals using nitric acid which is considered recovery, you still need to refine it to make it pure.

thank you very much for the tips and info, ill start reading up on the acid peroxide and the sulfuric stripping cell and start using the 2nd step that i was missing. :) thanks again!

Back