Help on ap process

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krmzin

Ok, I would like to say sorry for some questions I am about to ask. I know they may seem a but over the top but I cant load the video explaining the process and It says its a broken link when I try to load hokes book.

Now thats out of the way. Heres what I need to know

So far from reading others posts ( and a test batch) I have to get HCL and hydrogen peroxide and mix a 3:1 ratio. I have separated the pins from fingers ect and have left in the ap mixture for 2 days. This is the part I get confused.

When I filter the ap solution from everything else. I take the now stripped boards away and I see gold foils and bits of the board. I rinse the foils with water and let dry
I add the foils in the jar with some new HCL then some CL and the gold will dissolve into a liquid so the rest of the junk can be filtered.

Now I have this liquid, I am stomped on what to do

Do I let it sit and it will become a powder or do I have to boil or heat the mixture for it to become a powder?
I read that I would need SMB If so what is the ratio I need to add? and where can I get it or how to make it?

And after I get this powder, Do i add flux and melt it down or just melt it down as is?

Again im sorry for asking such questions, I just would like to know where I stand in knowledge and if someone could correct me on how to perform this process

Thanks

Try this link for Hoke's book;
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=2480

SMB is sodium metabisulfite http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_metabisulfite
You can find it at a brewery wine making supply store, or online.

Jim

Krmzin,

Please try and understand my comment here, I am making it to help you the best way I know how.

you are new, you seem to have done some study this is good, but the question you have asked are so basic, I say you have not studied enough to do the process yet, we can answer these few simple questions, but that would not help you, it would only lead to the next simple question.

take a little more time try not to get impatient and begin processing your material if your not ready (it would only lead to problems and loss in values), get the Hoke's book, a little more study, and prepare yourself, have you visited Laser Steve's web site? have you read the general reaction list and the forum handbook, you have tons and tons of information at your fingertips, spend just a little more time gaining the knowledge you will need to be able to answer the questions that will come up while recovering values and refining them.

it is a good idea to build up your stock of material to refine while studying.

Krmzin - butcher is giving you some very good advice --- Trying to recover & or refiner precious metals without knowing &/or understanding the different process (the how what when & why of each process) before you start with a process will only lead to frustration & values lost.

This is not a simple ask a few question get a few answers kind of thing --- its a science & you need to understand the science behind it & that requires a lot of research & study to gain the "required" knowledge to do it & do it right.

Even after you have done a lot of research & study you are going to run into problems & question & that is when we can & will help you because then you will be asking educated question & not just -"ok this is what I did but I don't know what to do next.

I started doing this about 4 years ago. When I first stared doing it I was going on a lot of incomplete info & mis info of which there is a lot of floating around out there on the internet & a lot of THAT info makes it sound & look easy --- its not!!!

In the first 2 year going on the above kind of info I lost far more value then I ever recovered

Then I found this forum - & I was told the same thing - read & "study" Hokes book & research & "study" the forum --- & when I did - I found out just how much I didn't know & how much I needed to know

If you just want the gold - but have no interest in reading studying &/or doing research - you will fail - because reading studying & research is actually part of the process.

This is a lean first then do kind of thing - & you have found the best place in the world to learn

Kurt

Krzymn,
I am also new to this process. My approach so far has been to read EVERYTHING I come across or can find relating to gold mining, refining and chemistry.
During which time I gathered small amts. of the chemicals and equipment mentioned in the material.
I then began small, test tube level experiments to see the actual results of the reactions. I want to understand before I commit any amount of material because it is pretty easy to screw it up and lose a lot of valuable stuff. There are many ways to screw it up, ONE way to do it right.
Play with small amounts if you can't wait to get going, it's actually a lot of fun and some beautiful reactions. The results can vary a lot though, so I recommend taking it slow, start small and read,read and read some more. Just my two centavos.

Back