After I turn my foils into liquid...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbenjamin06

What is the process after this? How do I get it from liquid to a pure gold bar? I understand the ingot, crucible, tongs etc... But how do I get it from a liquid to a solid?

You are asking the same type of question over and over...

Read C.M. Hoke, leave your solution alone until you do so.

Read the threads on this forum that have to do with what you are trying to do.

The information is all here, asking over and over in different ways is just going to create a bad situation on this forum for you. You need to read, a lot, before you just blindly dive into dissolving your gold into solution. It happens all the time, people are far too eager and seem to lack the patience required to do this seriously. Your gold is going nowhere, you have all the time you need to read and learn before attempting to do something that could literally cost you a lot of money if you screw it up.

And please, don't double and triple post on the same subject matter.

Scott

SBrown said:
You are asking the same type of question over and over...

Read C.M. Hoke, leave your solution alone until you do so.

Read the threads on this forum that have to do with what you are trying to do.

The information is all here, asking over and over in different ways is just going to create a bad situation on this forum for you. You need to read, a lot, before you just blindly dive into dissolving your gold into solution. It happens all the time, people are far too eager and seem to lack the patience required to do this seriously. Your gold is going nowhere, you have all the time you need to read and learn before attempting to do something that could literally cost you a lot of money if you screw it up.

And please, don't double and triple post on the same subject matter.

Scott

I am currently reading the ebook you recommended but there are some things on there that are already assumed to be known by the reader. for instance, it says to put copperas into a separate jar when adding aqua regia to your gold foils. I don't understand why that is or even what copperas is. It explains the process candidly my problem is I've never seen what he is talking about, so reading it with vocabulary I'm not familiar with makes it difficult to understand what he is saying. It'd be nice if there was a paralleled video that showed what he the author is talking about. At least then I can make relations between words I don't know and things I can see. :/

You can google whatever terms you don't understand, or also you can look it up on wikipedia.

Just so you know Hoke is talking about Ferrous II Sulfate, it's an iron salt used as a reducer. Check out wikepedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron(II)_sulfate

That should explain it better...

All of the chemicals and/or other materials we use in recovering and refining PMs are fairly common and easily googled, honestly. Some people learn better by someone holding their hand and showing them exactly what to do, but unfortunately you probably don't know anyone in real life, and the people offering you information, much of which is also proprietary, are also running their own business. It makes what they post here that much more valuable, but it is not conducive to the type of one on one instruction you are looking for.

You might look into taking some inorganic chemistry courses, or see if your local college has courses on metallurgy. I know where I live they actually have a fairly decent program at the local community college where you actually get to work with silver.

Scott

jbenjamin06, it may be hard to believe that this person who knows so much about refining could be a young lady who wrote this book closer to the beginning of the 20th century than the ending. she describes the processes so that the average person with no chemical training can follow along. this along with the internet, there shouldnt be much that is still a mystery about what we do. you are asking about precipitating gold from a AuCl solution. theres, well, many different ways of doing just that.

I suggest that jbenjamin06 watch Lazer Steve's videos http://www.goldrecovery.us/
as well as Samuel's http://www.goldnscrap.com/

Sometimes seeing it done is better than trying to understand a book.
Patience is still needed before jumping in still. You need to understand what you are doing, before you do it. And you need to know the next steps before you try the first. As well as all the safety issues.

Jim

Back