Graphite molds

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeinkaty

Been browsing ebay and see that some graphite MOLDS are listed as "For Silver Only". Why is that? Sorry, before editing I said CRUCIBLES!

Would anyone care to recommend a melting crucible and mold for gold and silver where the melts are 2 oz or less? Longivity of the mold would be a plus (for me). I'm presuming that quality varies a lot on these. What companies make the best ones? Also, is there any problem using the same mold for the different metals?

Thanks
Mike

I get my molds and other misc supplies from these guys:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/julie_makeyourowngoldbars/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Always been quality products and fast shipping, no complaints. There might be cheaper out there, especially if it's international shipping, so make sure you keep looking around for what's best for you.

I guess one question is what size is you average pour going to be for your silver and for your gold? I have separate molds for my gold and silver, all graphite. Do you want the option of pouring big bars or several smaller ones to equal the same weight. I've learned their is no one size fits all. I have an assortment in my arsenal ranging from a couple of gram pours all the way up to several oz.

Palladium said:
I guess one question is what size is you average pour going to be for your silver and for your gold? I have separate molds for my gold and silver, all graphite. Do you want the option of pouring big bars or several smaller ones to equal the same weight. I've learned their is no one size fits all. I have an assortment in my arsenal ranging from a couple of gram pours all the way up to several oz.

Thanks Palladium. As a hobbiest obviously my pours will be small and few and far between. My source for karat scrap is limited to just a few ounces a month. I think I will limit all my pours of gold to 1 ounce.

By the way, my dust collector out in my shop will be a good way to get rid of fumes. I have a rolling work bench that I will move outside most of the time but will be making a portable hood for the bench for use on rainy days. This vac is a large 2hp unit with 2 speeds and sets outside. I'll rig it up to blow the air out instead of into the dust bag. Down here we rarely have cold days.

Question. Been reading up on refluxing. Would putting distilled water ice on top of the watch glass help? Or filling up a round bottom flask with ice and setting it on top? I figure I will be doing this with the flask in a corning ware dish setting on top of a electric hotplate all setting in a large plastic tub.
Mike

I've got a few hundred lbs of blank graphite stock if anyone wants to try their hand at mold making :roll:

It's dusty for sure, that's what shop vacuums are for. They also burnish to a mirror finish if you're so inclined.

One other question. I have a cast iron ladel that I've had for at least 40 years. If it was well glazed with borax would it be acceptable for melting gold? I have used it for Silver with no known problems.

mikeinkaty said:
One other question. I have a cast iron ladel that I've had for at least 40 years. If it was well glazed with borax would it be acceptable for melting gold? I have used it for Silver with no known problems.

NO you never melt metal in a metal vessel. this can contaminate you metal.

Eric

Back