Solution results color help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grfphil

Hello, is there a chart for color results via reverse electroplating?

I decided to follow a tutorial I found on this site using salt and vinegar just to try this method out. I had the pos and neg connected correctly, however the vinegar turned orangey yellow. Some black is at the bottom. I let it sit over night.

Here is the mystery: it can not be that much gold dissolved because the test piece was very small, a gold plated piece of metal 1/4 the size of a penny.

I wish there was a color chart on reverse electroplating results. The steel turned dark red so I'm guessing it cemented something and the gold is definitely off the test piece. Any thoughts? Links to a color chart? If this is a repost, I'm sorry but I've tried to read answers of other topics but they all somehow turn into a completely different topic when reading further. Lol. Good day.

Laser Stevens general list picture 2 is similar in color, however I didn't use but a small gold plated item. Lol.

grfphil,
I do not think you will find a chart like that, there can be so many colors of different solutions, and even the same solution could have several colors depending on conditions.

I do not know what you are trying to do with electrolysis and vinegar, but I think you will find a much better way to process your material by studying the forum.

You are right with a better way, but it did remove the gold. It is more of a hassle this way in my opinion. I am giving up on this method and stick with the AP method I am studying. It would be cool for a chart based on diff solutions, methods, and metals used. Like a color graph. Bummer though. Anyways thanks for your response.

You can possibly make your own chart, from what you discover, sometimes searching will help like when we Google copper II chloride, we will come up with a picture of green salt.

CuCl2 will also make a green to brown solution, Iron can also make a green, brown, or yellow solution, copper nitrate with excess nitric or palladium in solution can also be green, other things can make a green solution, so in a way colors are not the best indicator of what the solution is (although color can give us clues), using tests to determine the Anion or Cation would be the only way to tell for sure in many cases.

With more experience and using tests you will get better at this.

Cool. Thanks. I am a hands on learner, I saved everything. I think I'm going to just test the solution and see. Anyways, I may try to take pictures of results with metals/solutions used so I remember what it could be. Thanks.

I have seen the same substance change colors with heat, concentration, dilution, pH, and other things.

I have seen a few papers on some salts of metals and there colors before, you may be able to find some of them on the Internet.

I guess I have seen things like silver and its salts in several different colors, and sometimes the same colors that I have seen other metal salts before, so I have learned not to just rely on colors, although they are very useful at times.

About the same way we cannot rely on color when we buy gold, without testing we could be wrong and make costly mistakes.

Or how we cannot use color to determine if gold is in solution, without testing we would either throw away or gold, or we would just be making a mess trying to get something that was not there.

Thanks butcher,

I guess testing is really the only method to the madness. I must keep learning.

Back