some questions

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilya25

Hi
I new in all the gold recovery subject
and I have some questions

1.can I recover gold fingers with aqua regia?
2.I can put with the gold finger gold pins and another stuff like cpu(not ceramic)?
3.how much really grams of gold I get from pound of gold fingers because I see that one pound it's lot of gold fingers and it's not look only 1 gram of gold
4.I see that in headphones the connection look like is coated with gold,it's really gold ? and can I recover it ?

thank you :)

ilya25 said:
Hi
I new in all the gold recovery subject
and I have some questions

1.can I recover gold fingers with aqua regia?
2.I can put with the gold finger gold pins and another stuff like cpu(not ceramic)?
3.how much really grams of gold I get from pound of gold fingers because I see that one pound it's lot of gold fingers and it's not look only 1 gram of gold
4.I see that in headphones the connection look like is coated with gold,it's really gold ? and can I recover it ?

thank you :)

First off before I answer, I would suggest reading reading and more reading. Read Hokes, do searches, Read Hokes again, never stop studying while you collect pieces and parts to work with.

That said....

1. Once RECOVERED from other methods such as Acid Peroxide you can then REFINE the gold flakes with Aqua Regia (among other methods)
2. Always keep like items with like items when recovering the gold, there are a multitude of base metals in each type of item and they almost always cause problems when mixed together.
3. Lots of variance in this question, age of fingers, how closely cut they were, I'm sure someone else can chime in with agreed upon yield numbers though
4. Pictures would be helpful to answer that. Best guess is you're talking about the connector, and best guess based on that would be reverse electroplating (something I plan to attempt in the future but nowhere near ready to attempt so I cannot speak to the process with any confidence)

I would keep collecting pieces and parts, continue to sort and disassemble, and above all study study study study! I can't speak for others but personally I spent a good 6 months studying on the subject before I was able to locate these forums (what a Godsend that day was!) and at least another 6 to 8 months studying here and asking questions before I even bought my first can of Lye or jug of HCL.

Based on your questions I see much studying in your future as well. Be safe, be patient. In the time I've been here I've seen lots of impatient folks and the messes they make, and the much smaller percentage of folks that are patient and the EXCELLENT results that they get.

Hope this helps

Dave

Thank you very much dave you help me a lot
I keep learning !

by the way:

this is the connector that I talk about him :

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Ultrasone/PRO900/images/headphone_connector.jpg

have a good day :)

Ilya.

I've processed about 6 lbs of fingers (all in approx. 1lb batches, with (1) 2lb batch). I bought some on ebay, I bought some from a member on here. The ones I got from ebay only averaged about 1.2-1.4 grams per lb. The better fingers that I got from a member on this forum was about 1.9-2.0 grams per lb. Again these are just my findings, and I realize its a small sample but that's all i've done in the past few months.

Also, fingers are easiest recovered using the AP process. Check out this thread below. Of course there are multiple ways to get the job done, but with just fingers, you need to dissolve the copper first (without dissolving the gold) and then gather/wash your gold flakes, then you could dissolve them with AR or using HCL and bleach. (I've used the HCL/bleach method and it works very well). You can still use too much bleach (just like people use too much nitric when using AR), but getting rid of excess chlorine is a tad easier then excess nitric.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=12914

Ken

Back