Getting Started: Fingers, Ceramics, California Cats

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanley0074

So.....after much reading my new hobby has begun!!

Here is what I have done so far.

1. Read, Read, Read!
2. Did a test batch of fingers (126 grams) using A/P followed by HCL/CL followed by SMB (Followed LaserSteve's Tutorial on this....Thanks!!)
3. Read more
4. Ran a very small (25 grams) batch of converter material using hot A/R followed by Ammonium Chloride. (Followed Sam's Tutorial Thanks!!)
5. Read More!!
6. 1.75 lb. batch of mixed ceramic CPU's in A/R followed by SMB (Followed Sam's Video balanced with some input from Steve's comments.)

With all above I am taking seriously the strong suggestions from Harold's posts about proper washing!! Thanks Harold!

California catalytic converter Progress

I have only reached the filtering phase (after precipitation) no real data yet on weight but there is a fair amount of brick red powder in the filter (way more than I expected from such a small sample) I am planning on doing the first of the two converters soon! I will save the powder till I have more precipitate.
I also started processing a cat from another car (Nissan) and did half of it but have not concentrated to a syrup yet (test with stannous came out brownish/yellow? more yellow)

Ceramics Progress

So far I have 3 Grams of powder from the Ceramics but the solution tested positive for gold so I added more SMB to the solution. (still figuring out the stannous testing colors)
I am soaking the lids in HCL
I am going to re-process the ceramics since it appears that digestion was not complete.

My first BB from the fingers yielded .2 grams (should have been a little more since I found some foils that did not rinse off the spent fingers and some more precipitate from the HCL/CL) Looking back I think I got impatient!! (Good thing I am saving everything right now, including rinse waters and filters)

I am thinking that for now I should save everything (rinse water, processed chips/ powders, filters, etc.) maybe even boiling everything down to a smaller volume (separately of course) until I get a good feel/understanding of what is left in the materials.

Any comments/ suggestions are much appreciated!!

First BB.jpg

First Ceramic Batch.jpg

Stanley

"In everything you do Know before you Go!"

Stanley0074,

The photos are nice and the gold powder looks great. Keep up the great work and no matter how small your buttons are, they'll get bigger as time goes by.

Kevin

Back