Making Cornflakes-Any tried and true methods?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danogarvin123

Maryland for now. Hoping to do an Az relocate
Quite sometime ago (not sure if it was this form)..a members pic was one of a large bowl of gold cornflakes,,,,was absolutely breath taking....thus my question. Any good proven procedures on how to accomplish it?

I've been playing around with copper to get a feel of proper drop height, size of drops etc but nowhere close to have a "star burst" appearance.

I would like to experiment in creating 24 kt cornflakes and make a necklace for possible retail sales

The picture you saw was probably in one of Harold_V's posts. His was actually more gold shot than cornflakes.

Cornflakes are made by melting the metal, then slowly pouring it directly into water in a tall, metal container. You'll end up with a wide variety of shapes ranging from large, flattened things that truly look like cornflakes, to rounder blobs, long, thin, stringy things, etc. Cornflakes are made to maximize the surface area to volume ratio so digestions are faster and more complete. They also produce some very interesting shapes that can be used in jewelry.

Several things you can try are to get you water cold with some ice. Stir the water just before you pour. Alternately, you can build a simple propeller type stir bar on a shaft chucked in a drill and stir while pouring. GSP has given information on this technique. If you can't stir, pour the gold in a circle around the container of water so you're not pouring right in one spot. The hot metal can create a shaft of steam as it falls and molten metal can reach the bottom. Pour in a slow, steady stream. You'll still have to play with pouring height to obtain the results you want.

Shot is melted in a dish or crucible just as with cornflakes, but the metal is then poured into a shotting flask positioned just above the water. Shot is used by jewelers when they create their own gold alloys. Here, the goal is compact, rounded shapes with a low surface area to volume ratio. The shotting flask is a melting dish with a hole drilled in the bottom. It is then seasoned with a layer of borax just as a normal melting dish. The shotting flask is heated as the metal is being melted. The molten metal is poured into the shotting flask and it drops through the hole right into the water directly below it. There are other tricks and modifications on this basic technique that you can find by searching.

Dave

Here is my method. I was actually trying to make shot but I was to close to the water, about 3 ft. above it. I turned this graphite crucilbe from stock, drilled the upper hole using a drill just larger than 1/16" intending to make very small shot. the molten gold would not run through the hole. I drilled it out to just under 1/8" and I was to close to the rim to control the pour so I drilled again lower, next to the button. It still took some doing to get the molten gold to run through the hole but it did.

Attachments

• shotholes.jpg
    shotholes.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 191
Here is the result of 24 grams of gold run through the crucible. To get shot you need more time to let the drops cool and solidify, ie more height. It scares me getting to far from the water and missing. That is why I ended up with these. Absolutely a stunning sight .
D'dane

Attachments

• cornflakes.jpg
    cornflakes.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 190
dangerousdane said:
It scares me getting to far from the water and missing. D'dane

try a 55 gallon drum, that has plenty of depth and you have a big target to aim for. :lol:

ray

Key parameters for shot:

• Ice cold water
    Agitation of the water to break surface tension (on small lots, one can add denatured alcohol or soap)
    Hole size in the tundish

Tundish must be hot to prevent a skull from forming and clogging it. This is less of a problem when pouring thousands of ounces (continuous shotting of silver is done only 40 or so degrees above its melting point).

Less critical is the drop height.

Dane,

Thanks for the pics and methods.....will let you know how mine turn out...I was thinking of mounting a wide nozzle 1" below the water level of my container and hooking a small circulating pump to it thus creating a fan spray (under the water) to see if that would maybe create some unique shapes.

Nothing wrong with experimenting....unless of course it's with someone else' money.....

Back