Removing chrome/nickle from old brass music instruments.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbob111

title pretty much spells it out. I picked up a very old, but still playable trumpet with bright chrome finish. it has spots of wear from sweat/skin acids. I wonder if anyone one the board has done instrument stripping. I have read everything from oven cleaner, bleach, coke all of which did not work. I have not tried muriatic acid as I read online that people completely destroyed the base metal. I don't care if I damage the horn (a little) as this is a project, but I still want it to be playable when it is done. I am now wondering about reverse plating, but really a newbie in this. Any input is greatly appreciated. MrBob

Mr. Bob,
Chrome is normally only a very thin portion of the plating, normally plated over a thick layer of nickel, which has a layer of copper plated under nickel,over the steel, or possibly brass in this case, it would be very hard to remove both the chrome and nickel plating and not destroy the musical instrument, it can be done (re-plated) by professional metal finishers but probably would cost more than buying a brand new musical instrument.

http://www.finishing.com/faqs/chrome.html

Back