Silver nitrate Solution questions

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grainsofgold

Supporting Member
? 's

After parting gold with Nitric /Distilled H20 on occasion the silver nitrate is green in color rather than the normal blue that I see-

The Green makes me think that I have Nickel in the solution -

1. I am wondering if there is a test or a way to know just how much Nickel is in a beaker of solution? Does it take much Nickel to in solution to make a color change of solution ?

2. After parting my gold, I filter the Silver Nitrate to remove the remaining parted gold sediment- then I add some silver to the filter solution to rid the free nitric until the silver no longer dissolves , then I cement the silver with copper - Is this the preferred way to rid the solution of free nitric before cementing with copper or is there another method of choice from the experts-

Thanks in advance-

GOG

grainsofgold said:
The Green makes me think that I have Nickel in the solution -
Refer to Hoke's book. Test for nickel (DMG) as well as palladium. Test with stannous chloride as well. The test will not reveal quantity, just the presence of each.

After parting my gold, I filter the Silver Nitrate to remove the remaining parted gold sediment- then I add some silver to the filter solution to rid the free nitric until the silver no longer dissolves , then I cement the silver with copper - Is this the preferred way to rid the solution of free nitric before cementing with copper or is there another method of choice from the experts-
You're best served to not use excessive nitric, although that's hard to do when digesting inquarted gold, as an excess towards the end is helpful.
That being said, considering it takes a great deal more nitric to dissolve copper than it does to dissolve silver, it's not unreasonable to consider just using copper. It will consume the nitric and start cementing when conditions are appropriate. Adding silver (as you suggested) also works, assuming you don't mind spending the time.

Harold

Back